PEPSICO IN INDIA
• PepsiCo gained entry to India in 1988 by creating a
joint venture with the Punjab government- owned
Punjab Agro Industrial Corporation(PAIC) and Voltas
• Main objective put forward was “To promote the
development and export of Indian made and agro
based products and to foster the introduction and
development of PepsiCo products in India”.
• PepsiCo entered in India in the form of joint venture
with PAIC holding 36.11%, Voltas 24%, PepsiCo
Our vision is put into action through programmes and a
focus on environmental stewardship, activities to benefit
society and a commitment to build shareholder value by
making PepsiCo a truly sustainable company.
• Pepsi is a hundred-year-old brand loved by over 200 million
people worldwide. The largest single selling soft drink brand
in India, Pepsi is ubiquitous on just about every social
• Mirinda has always stood for great bold taste that unleashes
uninhibited fun. Taking the promise forward, Mirinda
launched two new exciting flavors- Orange Mango and Orange
Masala which appeal to the Indian palette.
• Slice was launched in India in 1993 as a refreshing mango
drink and quickly went on to become a leading player in
• 7UP, the refreshing clear drink with a natural lemon and lime
flavour was created in 1929. 7UP was launched in India in
1990 and its international mascot Fido Dido was used for
advertising in 1992 to position the brand as a cool drink for
Strong Growth Prospects
Efficient Use of Resources
Expanding Operating Margin
Strong R&D Activities
Diversified Brand Portfolio
Dominant Market Position
• Declining Market Share in Sector
• Overdependence on Few Customers
• Geographical Concentration
Huge Potential in the Emerging Markets
Increasing Bottled Water Market
Growing Organic Foods Market
* Beverage Products
* Savory Food Snacks
* Other Food Products
* Expenses related to transportation, ingredients and labor
continue to pressure the beverage industry toward price
* PepsiCo’s drink pricing strategies may be heavily influenced
by its working relationship with Wal-Mart whose low price
themes put pressure on PepsiCo to hold down prices.
* PepsiCo is primarily a US based company with approximately 52% of its
revenues located in the states.
* PepsiCo is in the midst of making a $1, 000 million investment in
China, and a $500 million investment in India. Both initiatives are part of
its expansion into international markets and a lessening of its dependence
on US sales.
* PepsiCo instituted a so called Pepsi Stuff promotion whereby customers
could accumulate Pepsi Points from buying various products these points
could be used to by other products, most recently AmazonMP3.
* A recent promotion involving the NY Yankees was not well received
when not enough free tickets were made available.