Christmas 2013 8th_grade_semester_exam_study_guide Math Pre-Algebra
Study Guide: Math course 3 Semester 1 exam
Integers: represent a given situation with a positive or negative integer
*example: Mike lost 15 yards on the football field is represented by
the integer – 10.
1. Crystal earned $50 babysitting. ______
2. Gerard dove 25 feet below sea level. _________
Integers: add, subtract, multiply or divide integers given a situation.
*example: I had $32 in my wallet on Monday. I spent $8 on Tuesday
and my friend gave me $10 on Wednesday. How much money do I
have in my wallet at the end of the day Wednesday?
32 – 8 + 10 = $34.
3. I can make 3 pizzas per hour. At that rate, how long will it take me to
make 123 pizzas?
4. The high temperature for Tuesday was 7 degrees Fahrenheit and the low
temperature was -6 degrees Fahrenheit. What was the difference
between the high and low temperatures?
Evaluate Expressions: Solve the expressions below if a = 4, b = - 5, and c = 9
6. 5b + 6 – 2c
7. 8 + 5a - c
Discounts and sales tax: Find a sales price after the discount or a total price
after tax is added in.
8. I went out to eat with a friend. We each got the same meal and
drink, so we each paid the same amount of money. If our bill was
$42.84 and there is a 7% sales tax on the food, how much did each of
us pay for our meal?* HINT: remember you have to split the cost
equally among 2 people!!!
9. A skateboard has a regular price of $218. The sale price is 20%
off the regular price, and you have a coupon for 5% off the sale
price. What is the final price of the sweater?
10. A pair of shoes that is $79 is on sale for 10% off. If there is a
7.5% sales tax, what is the total cost of the game?
Perfect squares/ square roots:
in simplest form.
12. The square below has an area of 456 square inches. What is the
length of s, rounded to the nearest tenth?
13. Identify the following square root:
(*hint- there is an
important thing to remember when the negative sign is INSIDE the
square root symbol!)
Pythagorean Theorem: Use the formula
to find the length of a
14. Find the missing side length in the triangle below.
15. Find the height of the triangle below. Round to the nearest
hundredth if necessary.
16. Find the distance between points A and B.
Tables/equations/graphs of linear functions: translate from tables to
equations, from equations to graphs, and from graphs to equations.
17. Represent the following table as an equation:
18. Look at the table below. Which equation represents the relationship
of x to y? (Notice the x and y values do not always go up by the same
amount…. You may want to use the “guess and check” strategy).
19. Graph the following equation;
20. Graph the equation
22. Graph the equation
23. Look at the graph below. Write an equation that represents the
relationship of x to y.
24. Write an equation that represents the graph of the line below.
Systems of equations: When given a graph, identify the solution to the system
25. Write the solution to the system of equations below.
26. Draw a graph that correctly shows a slope of
. (Multiple choice on
27. Deborah is buying Oreo cookies for her classes. The cookies cost
$3.50 per package. Draw a graph that correctly shows the cost per
package. (Multiple choice on exam).
28. Michael collects Pokémon cards. He has 250 unpackaged cards and c
unopened packages of cards. The total number of Pokémon cards
that Michael has is given by the formula M(c) = 12c +250, where
M(c) is the total number of Pokémon cards that Michael has. What
does the slope of this function represent?
Linear/Nonlinear: You will be given a situation. You will determine if the
information will give a linear or nonlinear function, and choose a graph that
best represents it (there are 3 questions like this).
29. George noticed that the price of an airline ticket was dropping every
day. He recorded the price of the ticket each day for a week and plotted his
data on a coordinate grid. George was able to write a linear function to
describe the price decrease. Which coordinate grid correctly illustrates
30. The price at the buffet restaurant is $8.95 per person to eat. Draw a graph
that illustrates the total price of the meal for any number of people. (This
concept will be tested as a multiple choice problem).
31. The price of a ticket for One Direction concert can cost as much as
$250, but a discount is given as you choose a seat that is further away from
the stage. A discount of $50 per section farther away from the stage is given.
Draw a graph that illustrates the price of One Direction tickets. (this concept
will be tested as a multiple choice problem)
Continuous/Discrete: You will be given a table and asked to identify the
domain or the range. Then, you will look at the table and decide if the data is
continuous or discrete. (There are 2 questions like this).