2. Facebook Places introduces Deals
• Gap offers 10,000 pairs of free jeans
to users who check in using
• Chipotle does a buy one, get one
• 200 million mobile active Facebook
• Mobile users are twice as active on
Facebook than its non-mobile users.
Facebook announces a new feature with Places. Users can now receive deals from
businesses when they check-in to locations using their mobile phone.
3. Riots in San Francisco after Giants win World Series
• A live stream is broadcast on
Ustream from the scene of an
impromptu bonﬁre which attracts a
consistent audience of more than
• Users check into riot areas on
Foursquare and leave tips. One even
has a mayor! Users write: "Pick up
cars!" while another says "Set things
Main Stream media is slow to cover riots that are breaking out. Social media sites
such as Twitter, Flickr, Foursquare and Ustream are used to broadcast as the event
unfolds in real-time.
4. What Facebook’s ‘Like’ button does to web trafﬁc
• +190% ABC News
• +200% Gawker
• +500% Sporting News
• NBA.com said that Facebook had
become their second-largest referral
The ‘Like’ button lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook.When
the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends'
News Feed with a link back to your website.
Websites have seen huge amount of
trafﬁc referral from Facebook
5. Gap debuts a new logo on its website
• Consumers quickly backlash on social
media outlets like Facebook and
• Within days Gap issues a statement
of surrender on its Facebook page
and reinstate the old logo back
• Global brands have to be aware of
and respond to consumers much
more quickly than ever before
Gap is unprepared for the huge response from consumers.
6. Old spice launches new social media campaign
• Sales for Old Spice have skyrocketed
into double digits.
• They are now the No. 1 brand of
body wash and antiperspirant/
• By deﬁning its purpose and tapping
into a deep human insight to make
the brand more relevant, they were
able to create a highly successful
Old Spice creates a series of highly successful ads featuring Isaiah Mustafa the “Old
Spice Guy” that have gone viral online using Twitter andYouTube.
7. Old Spice takes the ads toYouTube
• The response videos are being hailed
as the fastest-growing viral video
campaign of any product in history.
• Looked at who were the most
inﬂuential people on the web in real-
time and responded.
• 161+ million views onYouTube
Fans used Twitter to ask questions to the "Old Spice Guy." He responded to 186
people personally with short, off-the-wall videos in real-time.
9. Adobe releases a survey on mobile users which say
they prefer mobile web and not apps
• Males 30-49 years-old tend to be the
most active content consumers and
• Men spend more time than women
on ﬁnancial and travel content
• Women engage more with social
media on their devices
Adobe asked 1,200 U.S. consumers about their behavior with regards to the
following categories: consumer products & shopping, ﬁnancial services, media &
entertainment, and travel.
• Accessing maps and directions is the
No. 1 mobile activity.
• Social networking, accessing local
information and reading news follow.
• The top mobile ﬁnance activity is
reviewing bank account information
10. Mike Takahashi
You should follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/takadesigns
You should visit my blog at http://www.takadesigns.com/blog