1. The Big Election Presentation: FDR Tyler Gahr US History
2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
3. Biography• Born January 30, 1882. Hyde park, New York.• Married Eleanor Roosevelt in in 1905. She was the niece of president Theodore Roosevelt.• Had 6 children.• In August of 1921, Franklin D. Roosevelt was diagnosed with Polio.• Was handicapped during his presidency.
4. Oversaw the Great Depression• High Unemployment• Stock market in shambles• Poverty• Needed Regulations
5. Characteristics• Straight-forward• Charismatic• Good with the press• Willing to take risks• Ability to provide good leadership during a depression
6. The 3 R’s: FDR’s approach• Relief: to provide jobs for the unemployed and to protect farmers from foreclosure• Recovery: to get the economy back into high gear, “priming the pump”• Reform: To regulate banks, to abolish child labor, and to conserve farm lands
7. Some Key Regulations: The New Deal• CCC - Civilian Conservation Corps • A program that put many Americans back to work. It was based on building public works across the country. Built things like structures and parks.• CWA - Civil Works Administration • Created higher paying jobs in the area of construction. However, the program was cut due to the high cost.• PWA - Public Works Administration • Created public works and provided economic stimulus during the depression .• SSA - Social Security Act • Provided relief for elderly people living in poverty• WPA - Works Progress Administration • Created jobs building roads, bridges, other public projects.
8. Why does the President admire FDR?• FDR cared about the American people’s welfare and because of that he was extremely popular.• He was a good, charismatic speaker.• Led his nation through World War II until his death• He knew that the government had to provide at least some assistance to the country and that doing nothing wasn’t a good idea.• FDR handled pressure well.