• Quick Write: You best friend’s parents just
bought him/her the newest Smartphone.
They agree to let you borrow it over the
weekend. What kinds of precautions
should you take to keep it safe?
• Students will be able to demonstrate
proper COW check-in and check-out
• Students will be able to explain the
expectations for COW use and describe
the consequences for not following
• Students will return a signed Catalyst
/Content Ltieracy Technology Agreement.
• As part of IDEAs Race to the Top
(RTTT) grant, IDEA College Prep
has been awarded laptops
organized into 14 COWS
(computers on wheels).
• This means in your English & Math
classes you will have a laptop for
content literacy. The 8th grade will
have in all four in content areas.
• This is a one-time award – no funds are
available for replacement.
• Our goal is ZERO equipment loss or
• You will be assigned a laptop and sign for
each day in class and return the same
A CULTURE OF CONSISTENCY
• Each group will be assigned a specific
aspect of IDEA student culture.
• For your assigned topic be prepared to
– Our mutual campus expectations
– Why we expect 100% compliance
– What happens when we get sloppy?
• We are going to study a video outlining
COW check-out and check-in procedures.
• Be prepared to list specific student and
teacher behaviors and discuss why they
• Make sure you can explain the
consequences of not adhering to our
1. What must both you and your guardian sign before
you can participate in Catalyst?
2. What should you do with your software URL, user
name, and password?
3. What should you do while waiting for a laptop to be
4. How do you make sure that you are using the correct
set of headphones?
5. When should you notify your teacher if a laptop is
broken or damaged?
6. What types of headphones can be used during
7. Which three types of websites are never allowed
8. What must be kept away from the laptops at all
9. When you teacher is giving instructions, what should
you do with your laptop?
10. What two things must you do before turning in your
11. Where will you place your laptop in the COW, and
what must you do to it?
12. What should you do immediately after turning in your
STEP BY STEP
1. Work on your assignment while waiting.
2. Make sure to have the correct set of
3. Sign out laptop.
4. Return to your seat.
5. Inspect laptop.
6. Turn on computer and login.
STEP BY STEP
7. Logout and shut down laptop.
8. Return laptop to COW.
9. Place in correct slot.
11.Return to your seat.
• Checking for Student Understanding
– Student Reflections
– Cow Procedures Quiz
– Practice (repeat as necessary)
– Recording Student Passwords (Planners)
– Login and Account Verification
• Only IDEA School Headphones are
• Students are not allowed to use their own
• Headphones will be numbered and assigned
to students according to laptop number
• No Internet Access?
– Check Wifi Switch on side of computer:
– Restart Laptop (one at a time
if multiple laptops are offline)
• Computer Logged Out
– Restart Laptop and it will auto-login
• If you experience any other technical problems or
discover damaged equipment immediately fill out a
help-desk ticket. Make sure to carbon copy your
• 1st Offense: Lose computer for the length of
time you need to write 10 sentences.
• 2nd Offense: Lose computer for the rest of the
class. Complete an alternate assignment.
• 3rd Offense: Teacher/student/parent
conference. Potential to permanently lose
access to computers.
• *Serious misbehavior, even if a first offense,
will always result in an immediate—and
sometimes permanent--loss of computer
COMPUTER MISUSE SENTENCES
• “I am an IDEA College Preparatory student
and I will use technology appropriately and
only for educational purposes as permitted
by my teacher.”
• Hold up your Content Literacy Technology
• Write a note to have your parents sign your
agreement in your planner.
• Bring your agreement back tomorrow.
• Optional (Catalyst Procedures Quiz)
• What will you need to do ahead of time to
make sure that the COW culture lesson is
• What actions will students do during this
• What actions will you do to ensure 100%
• List four specific procedures you need to
follow as you use the laptops.
• For each procedure, explain its rationale
– Rationale = the reasons for doing something
• How will these procedures help make sure
our laptops keep working for the years to
• How will having those working laptops
help you in the future? Be specific.