This tutorial shows
how to create reports
and charts with
Lotus Notes data
How-To: Reporting from Lotus Notes
• Lotus Notes or Domino Web application
• MS Excel installed on the client
• SWING Integrator
MS Excel advantage:
• Users are familiar with it
• No training is required to create new reports
• Reporting AND dynamic data analysis
Step 1: Copy SWING Integrator design
elements to your database
Select the destination
database and let the
Wizard do the rest
Open the Integrator
database and start the
Step 2: Add the Integrator action button
In Domino Designer, add an action button to your view...
...and copy the code snippet from
the Integrator sample library.
Step 3: Create an Excel template
Open your database; notice that the Templates view has been
added. Let’s create a new Excel Report template.
You may start from our sample
templates, and play with different
report layouts. This cross-tab report
will employ Excel PivotTable.
Save the template to the Template Setup
document. Then, set up the field mapping.
It’s ready to use now!
What we have done:
• Copied design elements using Setup Wizard
• Added an action button
• Added an Excel template and set up the data transfer
What we have got:
• Excel-based reports and data analysis from Lotus Notes
• Centralized report templates for easy maintenance
• Data transfer, including transformations between
multivalue fields and tables
What we didn’t see yet...
We didn’t see yet:
• Saving reports to Notes
• Exporting to PDF
• Excel can run in the background (e.g. for 1-step Chart.gif)
• Data source: views, categories, document collections, arrays
• Word-based documents and reports
Points to remember:
• The application can be easily extended simply by adding new
Office templates, without programming.
• A comprehensive API and open design elements let
developers customize the solution to fit their specific needs.