Screen Reader Shortcut keys
Using the WebAnywhere online screen reader
Web Anywhere website
Works best with Firefox.
You can interact with WebAnywhere using the keyboard. A selection of keyboard
commands that are currently supported is listed below, and can be accessed at any time
by pressing 'forward/'. Pressing SHIFT in combination with them reverses the direction of
the search, searching backward from the current cursor position instead of forward from
• CTRL-L - move the cursor to the location box where you can type a URL to visit.
• Arrow Down - read the next element on the page.
• Arrow Up - read the previous element on the page.
• TAB - skip to the next link or form control.
• CTRL - silence WebAnywhere and pause the system.
• CTRL-H - skip to the next heading.
• CTRL-I - skip to the next input element.
• CTRL-R - skip to the next row by cell when in a table.
• CTRL-D - skip to the next column by cell when in a table.
• Page Down - read continuously from the current position.
• Home - read continuously, starting over from the beginning of the page.
• CTRL+Arrow Down - when a selection box is focused, read the next option.
• CTRL+Arrow Up - when a selection box is focused, read the previous option.
Using the NVDA screen reader
Please note: NVDA key refers to either INSERT key (or Caps Lock on Laptop).
The following is the list of the most essential NVDA shortcut keys:
1. NVDA+T -- read the window title of the currently-active application.
2. TAB or SHIFT+TAB -- move between objects in the tab order.
3. NVDA+TAB -- read the object currently in focus.
4. NVDA+Up_Arrow -- read the current line under NVDA cursor.
5. ENTER or SPACE bar -- activate the item under the cursor, e.g., an HTML link, a
6. More shortcuts under NVDA Help menu.
Navigating web pages:
(applicable in "browse mode" only)
1. CONTROL+HOME -- move to the top of the page.
2. CONTROL+END -- move to the bottom of the page.
3. Up and DOWN arrows -- navigate between elements in a linear fashion.
4. Left and Right arrows -- navigate character by character.
5. NVDA+F7 -- display a list of all the HTML links and headings on the page; start
typing to narrow down your search.
6. B or SHIFT+B -- move between buttons.
7. C or SHIFT+C -- move between combo boxes.
8. D and SHIFT+D -- move between ARIA landmarks.
9. E or SHIFT+E -- move between edit fields.
10. F or SHIFT+F -- move between form fields.
11. G or SHIFT+G -- move between graphics; NVDA will speak alt text if one is present
or will speak a lot of gibberish if no alt text is found.
12. H or SHIFT+H -- move between HTML headings.
13. 1 through 6 or SHIFT+1 through SHIFT+6 -- move between HTML headings of a
14. I or SHIFT+I -- move between list items of an HTML list (note: you have to be
inside an HTML list to use this function).
15. K and SHIFT+K -- move between links.
16. L or SHIFT+L -- move between HTML lists.
17. M or SHIFT+M -- move between frames and iframes on the page.
18. N or SHIFT+N -- skip to the first block of text (non-link elements).
19. O or SHIFT+O -- move between embedded objects, such as Flash movies, press
SPACE bar to start interacting with object; press NVDA+SPACE to stop interacting
with the object.
20. Q or SHIFT+Q -- move between blockquotes on the page.
21. R or SHIFT+R -- move between radiobuttons on the page.
22. S or SHIFT+S -- move between separators (HR tags) on the page.
23. T and SHIFT+T -- move between HTML tables.
24. U or SHIFT+U -- move between unvisited links.
25. V or SHIFT+V -- move between visited links.
26. X or SHIFT+X -- move between check boxes.
27. NVDA+SPACE -- move into "focus mode" (enter text field).
28. ESCAPE -- move out of the "focus mode".
Using the Mac Universal Access screen reader with Safari
(Activate VoiceOver in the Universal Access preference pane. You will be presented with
the option to take the tutorial.)
CONTROL+OPTION+U -- start web item rotor to interact with lists of headings, links,
CONTROL +OPTION+SPACEBAR -- select an option
CONTROL +OPTION+SHIFT+UP_ARROW -- stop interacting with object
CONTROL +OPTION+SHIFT+DOWN_ARROW -- interact with object
CONTROL +OPTION+SHIFT+RIGHT_ARROW -- next item
CONTROL +OPTION+SHIFT+LEFT_ARROW -- previous item
CONTROL +OPTION+CC -- read entire column
CONTROL +OPTION+R -- read entire row
CONTROL +OPTION+C -- read column header
CONTROL +OPTION+H -- help (tutorial is help item)
CONTROL -- toggles reading/stopping
ESCAPE -- leave menu
Comment Add labels