3M India was born in India in 1988 as Birla 3M Limited. The name of the company was subsequently changed to 3M India Limited in Dec 2002. Today, 3M has over a 100 year track record of being one of the most innovative corporations worldwide.
Henry S. Bryan- First PresidentHermon W. Cable- First General ManagerJohn Dwan- First SecretaryWilliam A. McGonagle- First TreasurerDr. J. Danley Budd- First Vice president
An aluminum oxide sheet constructed on a J weight, light and flexible cloth backing. 3-Mite cloth -Waterproof for wet sanding. Excellent for sanding primed surfaces, removing orange peel, dust nibs and light sagging of the top coat. Used on metal, plastic body filler and fiberglass surfaces.
A Post-it note is a piece of stationery with a re-adherable strip of adhesive on the back, designed for temporarily attaching notes to documents and other surfaces. A series of board games produced by 3M from 1962 to 1975.
The now-defunct Mincom division of 3M, which specialized in magnetic tape recorders for instrumentation and sound recording, and other electronic products.
Presented by : GROUP 1
ABOUT 3M COMPANY
• Formerly known as the Minnesota Mining and
Manufacturing Company, is a diversified technology
company serving customers and communities with
innovative products and services.
• More than 80,000 employees.
• More than 55,000 products.
adhesives, abrasives, laminates, passive fire protection,
dental products, electronic materials, medical
products, car care products, electronic circuits and
• Founder(s) of 3MHenry S. Bryan
Hermon W. Cable
William A. McGonagle
Dr. J. Danley Budd
• Headquarters- At Maplewood,Minnesota, U.S.
3M at a Glance (Year-end 2010)
• Global sales: $27 billion.
• International (non-US) sales: $17.5 billion (65
per cent of company's total).
• Operations in more than 65 countries.
• 3M products sold in nearly 200 countries.
• 80,000 employees globally.
3M In India
• Turnover: Rs. 1176 crores for 12 Months ended
March 31st, 2011 with profits of Rs. 99 crores.
• Head Office at Bengaluru.
• Innovation Labs at Bengaluru & Gurgaon (NCR).
• Approximately 1800 + Employees (As of June
• Approximately 7000 Products sold in India.
INNOVATION HISTORY OF 3M
• The company began by mining stone from quarries
for use in grinding wheels.
• Struggling with quality and marketing of its
products, management supported its workers to
innovate and develop new products .
• Twelve years after being founded, 3M developed its
First exclusive product: Three-M-ite cloth.
• Other innovations included masking tape,
waterproof sandpaper and Scotch brand tapes.
• Failing to make sandpaper with the anorthosite, the
founders decided to import minerals like Spanish garnet,
after which sale of sandpapers grew.
• In 1914, customers complained that the garnet was
falling off the paper.
• The founders discovered that the stones had traveled
across the Atlantic Ocean packed near olive oil, and the
oil had penetrated the stones.
• They roasted the stones over fire to remove the olive
oil. This was the first instance of research and
development at 3M.
Other innovative products :
• Company's innovations include waterproof
sandpaper (1921) and masking tape (1925), as
well as cellophane "Scotch Tape" and sound
deadening materials for cars.
• Early 1970s: 3M published a line of board
games, largely under the "3M bookshelf game
• 1980: The company introduced Post-it notes.
Previously used traffic signals
Traffics introduced by 3M
• The signal had the unique ability to be
"programmed" so it was visible from certain
• The Model 131's "programmability" was
achieved via masking a clear glass lens with
aluminium adhesive tape.
• 3M's Mincom division introduced several
for instrumentation use and for studio sound
• Later introduced: A commercially available
digital audio recording system called the "3M
Digital Audio Mastering System", which
consisted of a 32-track digital audio tape
recorder and a companion 4-track digital
recorder for final mastering.