America Today - Election of 2008
• Barack Obama won the Democratic party nomination Wanted a
change for America. He wanted Health Insurance for all workers, an
increase in taxes on wealthy Americans
• John McCain ran on the Republican party ticket. His platform was
against abortion rights for women, balance the budget by end of
first term, and he wanted to keep marriage between men and
• Barack Obama becomes the first African American President. He
helped pass a bank bailout to jump start the economy, pass a
bailout of the auto industry, and passed a major health care reform
• Unemployment is still high, but the economy is showing signs of
• America is still recovering from the "Great Recession.”
10 years later...
• As a result of the 9/11 attacks, The Patriot Act
was passed and airport security was changed
• America has intervened in several countries to
protect democracy in the U.S. and the World.
War in Afghanistan
• Started in response to the 9/11 attacks.
• Fighting against Al Qaeda, Osama Bin laden
and the Taliban government
• The War is still ongoing. A decrease in
American deployment should occur in 2014.
• War continues in Afghanistan
War in Iraq
• The war began because of the suspensions of
weapons of massive destruction in Iraq.
• Led to the fall and execution of Saddam
• After 8 years of fighting, security has been
handed back to the Iraqi government.