Jai SRIJai SRIPRAGATI,KORAPUTPRAGATI,KORAPUTWelcomes UWelcomes U
Year of Establishment: 26thJanuary 1992VISION:To build a self-reliant society, free fromhunger and exploitation, where everyoneirrespective of caste, creed, sex or languagehave right to dignified means of livelihood andthrough collective action ensure socio-economicjustice and ecological balance.Operational Area :Koraput District in Odisha StateOur Programme ThemesOur Programme Themes :• Formation and Empowerment of People’s Organizations• Ensure food security through Natural Resource Management• Sustainable Agriculture through organic practices & SRI• Disaster Risk Reduction• Women EmpowermentIntroducing Pragati
• A farmer with only 0.5 acreland• Started SRI in 2008• Now able to ensure foodsecurity for the whole year• A messenger of SRI- scalingup to the whole villageOrganic SRI- Towards Food Security of Small Farm holdersPRAGATI,KORAPUTEXPERIENCES INSCALE UP OFORGANICSRI
• Small and marginal farmers with less than 1 ha landholdings.• Lack of adequate suitable land for rice cultivation.• Food insecurity & Need to increase productivity• Low per capita income- 83 % below the poverty line• The shortage of water (climate change)-Need to considerwater saving alternatives• Need of reducing use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.Rationale for Introducing Organic SRI in Koraput Context
SRI COVERAGE AREASRI-Coverage Area13 Blocks of Koraput DistrictPanchayats : 44Villages : 213Farmers : 6831Area in acres : 4758TRIBEBorigumaA U SDasmanthpurSEARCHBoiparigudaBKSBoiparigudaWORDLaxmipurR A DBandhugamG J SPottangiPRASTUTEEPottangiSAHARASemiligudaPRAGATIKoraputODISALamtaputAFRDBorigumaJaibik SRISamaj
• Village meetings, Trainings & Formation of Farmers Clubs• Networking with NGOs• Use of ICT through production and dissemination of videos• District level SRI Symposiums, Demonstration festivals• Dissemination through Literatures, Greeting cards, posters, wallpaintings• Demonstrations and cross learning exposures• On farm & Action Research• Media interface• Awarding successful farmers.Scale up & Extension Strategy
• 6831 Farmers adopting SRI in 4758 acres of land (Average0.7acre )• Average increase in household food security( 4-5 months).• 67 indigenous seed varieties conserved and replicated.• Crop intensification method applied to Ragi, Sugarcane and vegetables.• 176 Farmers clubs established with 6643 SRI adopting farmers.• Convergence with Govt. Schemes/ATMA,NABARD for SRI Village andscale up.• Reduced use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides.• Reduced drudgery of women.Achievements & Impact
395 2311024705300013604205163568314758010002000300040005000600070002008 2009 2010 2011 2012FarmersAcreNote: Beginning of the project 395 farmers in 231 acres land in Kharif 2008 we have spread the practice to 6831farmers in 4758 acre landScale up of Organic SRI in Koraput District
4593123778532472921150100020003000400050006000Small Marginal Big SC ST GenFarmerNote: 6708 small and marginal farmers of 213 villages of Koraput District ensured their food security by adopting SRIin their respective field .Also 5324 Tribles involved in SRI practice.Project addressee
• Total farmers involved -21• Total plots - 123• Total Area - 4 acres• Aspects1. Nutrient Management (NM) (organic/Chemical)2. Age of seedling (AS) (0,8,12,16,20,25 )3. Variety Response (VR) (Local, HYV, Hybrid, Aromatic)4. Spacing (4,6,8,9,10,12 inch)5. Spacing (S) X Age of seedling (AOS)6.Direct seededTribal farmers in SRI Research
• The Govt. has introduced line sowing method which provides seed support tofarmers along with package of chemical fertilizers and pesticides- the samestrategy can be promoted for SRI.• State level pressure Group required for policy change.ChallengesLearningRecommendations –suggestions• Climate Change/ Erratic rainfall- Slowing the Scale up rate.• Promotion of hybrid seeds, Line sowing and chemical use campaigning byGovt .• Convergence with Govt. scheme.• Local seed varieties need to be conserved and replicated• Farmers need training and input support for organic practices.• Cadre building of farmers .
• Emphasis on replication of CropIntensification method in Ragi and othercrops• Promotion of cadre of service providers• Replication of indigenous seed varieties• Promotion & up scaling of organic practices• Marketing promotion of organic produces.Way forward……
ThanksLet us join hands forLet us join hands forthe cause of food securitythe cause of food security
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.