1. Sameer Verma, Ph.D. Professor Information Systems Department San Francisco State University San Francisco, CA 94132 USA [email_address] http://verma.sfsu.edu Seminar, CB MIS Program University of the West Indies, Jamaica Creative commons license http://creativecommons.org/ One Laptop per Child: Upsetting the Information Pyramid hello! Unless noted otherwise
2. Classic MIS Pyramid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_systems_%28discipline%29
3. The Internet
4. Can information flow like water? http://ltse.env.duke.edu/files/ltse/images/India%20Persian%20wheel%20irrigation%20Ganges%20Plain.jpg
5. Power battery http://www.flickr.com/photos/jommev/393200096/
6. A water “battery” http://www.flickr.com/photos/easyecoblog/4304158871/
9. Viva La Revolución Can we spark a paradigm shift by providing equitable access to information all over the world?
10. Somebody is finally thinking of the children! To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning. — OLPC Mission Statement, It's an education project, not a laptop project. — Nicholas Negroponte
11. Multiple hats... Disclaimer: I do not work for OLPC. I am only a volunteer!
12. in the beginning...
13. Must. Have. Laptop. (July 2007)
14. Give 1 Get 1 – Nov 2007
15. Next thing I know... De facto founder of OLPC San Francisco http://olpcsf.org
16. Then I run into this guy... Click here to learn more...
17. Next thing I know... De facto founder of OLPC Jamaica! http://olpcjamaica.org.jm
18. A tremendous “Thank you!” to the UWI community for making this happen. http://olpcjamaica.org.jm Providence Basic School, Kingston, Jamaica August Town Primary School, August Town, Jamaica
20. Mission OLPC's mission is to empower the world's poorest children through education We aim to provide each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop. To this end, we have designed hardware, content and software for collaborative, joyful, and self-empowered learning. With access to this type of tool, children are engaged in their own education, and learn, share, and create together. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future.