My Career Path
At university now studying
Voluntary “Social Year”
Worked with adults with
Gymnasium = High School
with Special Needs
What does Special Education mean?
Do you know anyone who has special
needs? What are they like? How might
they experience school differently than
How is special education different
from other kinds of education?
1) Working with students with special needs requires
patience and empathy.
2) The pace of the school day isn’t as important in special
3) The relationship between teacher and student is
different. Learning basic skills like calculating or writing is
less important than helping them to live an independent
1. Divide the class into Eins (1) and Zwei (2).
2. In your native language, Eins teach your
partner how to say:
3. Zwei, place the blindfold on.
4. Eins, you will guide your partner to the
opposite side of the room only
communicating in YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE.
BE SAFE. NO RUNNING. HAVE FUN!
• What was your impression of the
activity? How was it challenging?
• What do you think this tells us about
the challenges of working with special