2. Graduate Recruitment Market
• Number of Graduates continues to increase
• January 2009 - UK Recession
More Graduates + Less Jobs
3. Recession – Agent for change?
1) It makes you more creative, consider different careers
3) It makes you think harder about what you can offer an
5) It stops complacency and creates a sense of urgency
7) It brings you back to the basics - you need a job to pay
9) It forces you to make tough decisions - enter the job
market or take further study?
4. Bioscience Graduates
• Hardest hit is those entering business/finance
• Starting Salaries continue to increase
• Graduate recruitment will not collapse
• Science graduates have a set of skills that are
favourable to employers
• Preparation is key!
5. Start thinking now!
• The Recruitment Process is highly competitive
• Finding a job is a professional task
• Devote time to research your career
6. What are employers looking for?
• A university degree alone is not enough…
7. What are soft skills?
5 soft skills that employers look for…
8. Soft Skills
1) Interpersonal Skills
lead, motivate and delegate
2) Team Working
The skills to interact in a group situation
9. Soft Skills
3) Negotiation Skills
Obtaining a desired outcome whilst still maintaining
successful working relationships
4) Communication Skills
ability to communicate ideas to others effectively
10. Soft Skills
5) Time Management
Controlling and using your time as effectively as
11. Activities that develop your soft skills
• Work experience
• Volunteer work
• Duke of Edinburgh Award
• Playing in a music band
• Playing for a sports team
• Writing for a School or College Newspaper
12. Employability skills and your degree
• Problem Solving
• Self Study
• IT Skills
13. What you need to do
• Step 1 – Think!
Industries? Hours? Environment? Location?
• Step 2 – Research
• Step 3 – Network
• Step 4 – Gather your documents
14. What are professional bodies?
• Membership organisations
• Royal Charter
15. What do they do…
Support the next generation of professionals
16. What do they do…
Influence government policy
17. What do they do…
Serve the needs of their members
18. How can we help you?
• Commitment to your studiescareer
• Careers guidance
• Training and development
19. How we can help you?
• Letters after your name
Adam Timmins AMIBiol
• Stand out from the crowd!
• Join your professional body
• We can help you:
– Research your future career
– Network with professional biologists
– Develop your CV and cover letter
– Find a job
All for just £22 per year!