3. •Step 3: Search the database•Try different keywords, try different searches•Move to database subject headings•Select the best citations•Use internal citation generators•Step 4: Evaluate resources•Read and assess content
4. Research roadmap•Setp 5: Apply and use information •Synthesize information •Write up the finding and conclusion •Create your bibliography using correct citation style•Circular process – Repeat and Revise•Use the WGSS 401 Research Guide!! •http://csulb.libguides.com/wgss
6. Creating a Search Strategy• Develop a thesis statement•The leadership roles of Mexican Mayan women in the Zapatista movement in the struggle to challenge NAFTA during the 1990s.
7. Creating a Search Strategy•Define the question • Ask why????•Who are the Zapatistas?•What were the theoretical and concrete conditions that promoted female leadership?•Who were the key female leaders?•What are the "Revolutionary Law of Women"?•How did female leadership changed in the 1990s, if at all?
8. Creating a Search Strategy• Break down your thesis statement by concept•The feminist roles of Zapatista women during the 1990s.
9. Creating a Search Strategy
10. Creating a Search Strategy• Boolean Operators • AND Zapatista Women • OR 1990s Feminist Mayan Mayan indigenous OR Indigenous
15. GenderWatch• 100 international journals• Most are full-text• Coverage: 1978 to present• Internal citation generator
16. International Political Science AssociationAbstracts• Worlds leading journals in political science• Coverage: 1975 to present• Abstracts only• Need the full-text?
17. Need full-text? Use “Get it at CSULB”
18. Get it @ CSULB - ArticleReach
19. Get it @ CSULB - Article Reach
20. Research Databases•Academic Search Complete•Sociological Abstracts•SocIndex•EconLit
21. Need Information NOT at CSULB• ArticleReach • Articles ONLY • 3 days• ILLIAD • Anything • 3-10 days
22. microscopesClick on the Links in Beachboard Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
23. Still need a little help? Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
24. Library homewww.csulb.edu/library page Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
25. Want to talk to a real human?• Ask at the Reference Desk, 1 st West• Consultations • Susan Luévano • Office hours: • U Library, room 416, 4th floor • Wednesday, 2:30 pm -4:30 pm • Susan.Luevano@csulb.edu Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library