View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Latin@s and Health
Ethnic Studies Librarian
• CSULB is ranked among the 50 best-value
public colleges in the nation. Do you agree?
• A) Yes
• B) No
• C) Not sure.
What is first step in the research process?
A. Consult the librarian
B. Develop a research statement
C. Look at reference books
D. Start searching in research databases
• Create a research statement
• Childhood obesity among Mexican
Americans is a major health crisis.
• Define the questions
– Ask why????
• What research question(s) should be addressed ?
Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a
major health crisis.
• A) How do you define obesity?
• B) What are the % of Mex American children who
• C) What are the causes?
• D) All of the above.
What is the key to successful research?
A. Using multiple databases.
B. Using reference source, i.e. encyclopedias
C. Using the right vocabulary to search in
• D. Working with the librarian.
• Identify key concepts
• Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans
is a major health crisis.
• What are Boolean Operators?
• A. Computer commands used to organize
• B. Computer commands used to search
multiple databases at once.
• C. Computer commands used to create a
• D. Computer commands used in selected
databases to find full-text articles.
• AND narrows a search
– both variables must appear in same citation
– terms are different in meaning
– example: “Diabetes AND Hispanics”
• OR broadens a search
– terms are similar in meaning
– either term may appear in the record
– example: “Latinos OR Hispanics”
• What is the truncation symbol?
•B. ( )
• Searches root word to retrieve
• What is a peer reviewed journal
• A. A research article that has been
vetted by a team of peer scholars.
• B. An research article written by a
team of peer scholars.
• C. A research article that has been
presented at a professional
conference before publication.
– Content & research model are reviewed by
– Based on research & written for a discipline
– In-depth analysis
– Extensive bibliography
• Name 2 of the most highly used health
administration research databases.
Science Direct & Wiley Interscience
Alt-HealthWatch & Web of Science
Medline & CINAHL
Academic Search Complete & PsychInfo
– 1) OneSearch: Test or preliminary search for journal
articles, books & more
– 2) Structured Databases by topic/title
• Digital front door to library resources
• Does NOT replace structured databases
• Only looks at a selected slice of library
• We need your feedback!!
– Let us know what you think
Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
• An authoritative resource for the nursing,
health administration, and allied health
literature – journals, books, pamphlets,
audiovisuals, software, research instruments,
• 1982 to present
– The National Library of Medicine’s international,
biomedicine & health journal database covering all
areas of medicine, including dentistry, nursing,
veterinary medicine, the health care system, preclinical
• Web of Science & OVID (same content; search interface is
• Mostly journals
• 1951 to present
• 1,300 journals in all areas of psychology. Also
includes references to dissertations, media,
• 1,300 journals
• General subject database containing
indexing and abstracts for over 5,400
journals & 4,400 peer reviewed journals
• 1985 to present
• Mostly full-text
Where can you go if you still need help?
A. Set up a research consultations with librarian
B. Ask at the reference desk, 1st floor West
C. Lib Answers: Got Questions? Get Answers online
D. All of the above
• Susan Luévano
• Office hours:
– U Library, 4th floor, room 416
– Wednesday, 2:00 – 4:30 or by appointment