CHLS 470Latin@s and Health 201 Susan Luévano Ethnic Studies Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
• Step 1: Develop search strategy – Research statement – Develop research questions – Identify Keywords – Boolean operators (and , or) – Truncation (*)• Step 2: Select databases – Research Databases• Step 3: Search the database – Try different keywords, try different searches – Move to database subject headings – Select the best citations – Use internal citation generators when sending information
• Step 4: Evaluate resources• Step 5: Apply and use information – Synthesize information – Write up the finding and conclusion – Create your bibliography using correct citation style• Circular process – Repeat and Revise
• Create a research statement• Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.• Define the questions – Ask why????
• What research question should be addressed ? Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.• A) How do you define obesity?• B) What are the % of Mex American children who are obese?• C) What are the causes?• D) All of the above.• E) C
• Identify key concepts• Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.
Find articleswhere all 3 Mexicanconceptsappear. American * Children Obesity
• AND narrows a search – both variables must appear in same citation – terms are different in meaning – example: “Diabetes AND Hispanics”• OR broadens a search – terms are similar in meaning – either term may appear in the record – example: “Latinos OR Hispanics”
• Searches root word to retrieve variant endings• Obes*• Obese• Obesity• Obeso• Obesidad
– Content & research model are reviewed by other scholars– Based on research & written for a discipline scholars– In-depth analysis– Extensive bibliography
• An authoritative resource for the nursing, health administration, and allied health literature – journals, books, pamphlets, audiovisuals, software, research instruments, dissertations, etc• 1982 to present• Availability
– The National Library of Medicine’s international, biomedicine & health journal database covering all areas of medicine, including dentistry, nursing, veterinary medicine, the health care system, preclinical sciences. • Web of Science & OVID (same content; search interface is different) • Mostly journals • 1951 to present • Availability
• 1,300 journals in all areas of psychology. Also includes references to dissertations, media, and books.• 1,300 journals• Abstracts• Availability
• General subject database containing indexing and abstracts for over 5,400 journals & 4,400 peer reviewed journals• 1985 to present• Mostly full-text• Availability
Where can you go if you still need help?A. Set up a research consultations with librarianSusan Luévano.B. Ask at the reference desk, 1st floor WestC. Library Research ClinicD. All of the above
• Susan Luévano• Susan.email@example.com• 562-985-5891• Office hours: Wednesday, 2:30 – 4:30 or by appointment
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.