AFRS 495, fall 2011 Ms. Susan Luévano CSULB University Library
Chls 4170 spring 2013
CHLS 470Latin@s and Health Susan Luévano Ethnic Studies Librarian email@example.com
• CSULB is ranked among the 50 best-value public colleges in the nation. Do you agree?• A) Yes• B) No• C) Not sure.
• What is step in the research process?• A. Consult the syllabus• B. Develop a research statement• C. Look at reference books• D. Start searching in research databases
• Create a research statement• Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.• Define the questions – Ask why????
• What research question should be addressed ? Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.• A) How do you define obesity?• B) What are the % of Mex American children who are obese?• C) What are the causes?• D) All of the above.
• What is the key to successful research?• A. Deciding what databases to use.• B. Using reference source, i.e. encyclopedias• C. Using the right vocabulary to search in databases.• D. Working with the librarian.
• Identify key concepts• Childhood obesity among Mexican Americans is a major health issue.
• What are Boolean Operators?• A. Computer commands used to organize research databases• B. Computer commands used to search multiple databases at once.• C. Computer commands used to create a research strategy.• D. Computer commands used in selected databases to find full-text articles.
• AND narrows a search – both variables must appear in same citation – terms are different in meaning – example: “Diabetes AND Hispanics”• OR broadens a search – terms are similar in meaning – either term may appear in the record – example: “Latinos OR Hispanics”
• What is the truncation symbol?•A. @•B. ( )•C. ?•D. *
• Searches root word to retrieve variant endings• Obes*• Obese• Obesity• Obeso• Obesidad
• What is a peer reviewed journal article?• A. A research article that has been vetted by a team of peer scholars.• B. An research article written by a team of peer scholars.• C. A research article that has been presented at a professional conference before publication.
– Content & research model are reviewed by other scholars– Based on research & written for a discipline scholars– In-depth analysis– Extensive bibliography
• Name 2 of the most highly used health administration research databases.• A. Science Direct & Wiley Interscience• B. Alt-HealthWatch & Web of Science• C. Medline & CINAHL• D. Academic Search Complete & PsychInfo
• Http://www.csulb.edu/library– 1) OneSearch: Test or preliminary search for journal articles, books & more – 2) Structured Databases by topic/title
• Digital front door to library resources• Does NOT replace structured databases• Only looks at a selected slice of library holdings• We need your feedback!! – Let us know what you think Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
• An authoritative resource for the nursing, health administration, and allied health literature – journals, books, pamphlets, audiovisuals, software, research instruments, dissertations, etc• 1982 to present• Availability
– The National Library of Medicine’s international, biomedicine & health journal database covering all areas of medicine, including dentistry, nursing, veterinary medicine, the health care system, preclinical sciences. • Web of Science & OVID (same content; search interface is different) • Mostly journals • 1951 to present • Availability
• 1,300 journals in all areas of psychology. Also includes references to dissertations, media, and books.• 1,300 journals• Abstracts• Availability
• General subject database containing indexing and abstracts for over 5,400 journals & 4,400 peer reviewed journals• 1985 to present• Mostly full-text• Availability
Where can you go if you still need help?A. Set up a research consultations with librarianSusan Luévano.B. Ask at the reference desk, 1st floor WestC. Lib Answers: Got Questions? Get Answers serviceD. All of the above
• Susan Luévano• Susan.firstname.lastname@example.org• 562-985-5891• Office hours: Wednesday, 2:00 – 4:30 or by appointment
¿Le ha llamado la atención una diapositiva en particular?
Recortar diapositivas es una manera útil de recopilar información importante para consultarla más tarde.