1. CHLS 100 Steps to Successful ResearchSusan C. LuévanoCSULBChicano & Latino Studies Librarian
2. How to findsources
3. Selecting a Topic
4. Creating a Search Strategy Use pre-Research data to create thesis statement Break down your thesis statement by concept Develop research question(s) Use Boolean operators Truncation Select databases & other resources Academic Search Complete SocInex
5. Creating a Search StrategyBreak down your thesis statement by the most specific concepts.The Mexican American Studies program at TUSD should be reinstated.
6. Creating a Search Strategy Breakdown your topic by the most specific key concepts in your statement.
7. Work timeYourturn!Question 1
8. Research QuestionsWhat research question(s) can we develop for the reinstating the MA studies topic?A) Why was the program eliminated?B)What curriculum was taught in the program?C) What statistical data proves that the program promoted student success?D) All of the above.
9. Work timeYourturn!Question 2
10. Creating a Search Strategy Boolean Operators Computer commands used to create a research strategy.
11. Boolean Operators
12. Creating a Search Strategy Boolean Operators AND OR Ethnic A TUSD N studies D O Chican Hispanic or Hispanic R o Chicano
13. Creating a Search Strategy Truncation More results PluralsAsterisk * Cultur* Culture Cultures Cultural Culturally
14. Work TimeYourturn!Question 3
15. Scholarly Journals Journals Written for a scholarly audience Report on research In-depth Extensive bibliography May be “peer reviewed” Has been reviewed by a team of scholars
16. Find Articles
17. Databases Academic Search Complete Interdisciplinary Lots of full-text Scholarly & popular publications SocIndex Publications by and for ethnic groups including Hispanics Scholarly only Not available at CSULB? Use
18. Work timeYourturn!Question 4
19. TruncationBooleanOperators Search Strategies LIMIT - Scholarly LIMIT – Pub years LIMIT - Language
20. How can I just get scholarly journalarticles when searching the researchdatabases?
21. How do I get full-text article?
22. Full-text available
23. Full-text NOT available ArticleReach
24. COAST Susan Luévano, CSULB, University Library
25. Work timeYourturn!Question 5
26. Using databases off campus
27. Review: research basicsStep 1: Develop search strategy using Keywords Develop research questions Boolean operators TruncationStep 2: Search databases Research DatabaseStep 3: Search the databases Try different keywords, try different searches Move to database subject headings Select the best citations Use internal citation generators when sending information
28. Review: Research roadmapStep 4: Evaluate resourcesStep 5: Apply and use information Synthesize information Write up the finding and conclusion Create your bibliography using correct citation style Use the CHLS100 LibGuide!!
29. Still need a little help?
30. Want to talk to a real human? Askat the Reference Desk, 1st West Consultations Susan Luévano Office hours: U Library, room 416, 4th floor Wednesday, 2:30 pm -4:30 pm Susan.firstname.lastname@example.org