Lecture: Profiles and Pages -
Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter
By: Susan Fant
www.susanfant.com / www.castlesandsllc.com
These Slides are for Educational Purposes Only
The University of Alabama Marketing Department MKT597: Digital & Social Media Marketing Fall Semester 2014
Susan says social media
is all about
customer behavior and
behavior = purchasing
Why Social Media Strategy Matters
• When not paying attention, companies run the
risk of the following:
– Aiming at the wrong targets
– Wasting time & money
– Failing to harness potential power
– (Alienating potential & current customers)
• Social Media’s Core Functions
– Monitor -- Respond
– Amplify -- Lead
Social Media is Confusing
• “Nebulous” nature
• ROI Measurement
• Online 24/7 (weekends do count now)
– Where and how do companies influence
– What are “real” reviews, “paid” reviews, & “fake”
Gatorade Mission Control @ Pepsi Co.
Photo: Fast Company
Monitors include visualization of
tweets that are relevant to
Gatorade: brand, competitors,
athletes, sports nutrition and
sentiment analysis of blogs.
Reported an increased engagement
by 250% and reduced exit rate from
25% to 9%.
Uses Facebook to engage customers
and answer questions. Creates cover
photos for fans’ profiles.
Other social media command
centers: Cisco, National Australia
Bank, Clemson University, Dell
Computers, American Red Cross.
The Pioneer of Social Command Centers
• Interactions with
• Example: Ford Escape
& New Girl
- “Winston’s new car is
a Ford Escape he has
- “Escape My Life”
Testing a Campaign
• Creating hypotheses & benchmarks makes social
media analysis more tangible to stakeholders.
• Testing campaigns with a variable factor (in the
McKinsey example, different levels of funding
money) can help prove the worth of a campaign.
• Finding the key metric you want to increase, ex.
creating “buzz”, increase search traffic, or
negating negative word of mouth defines an
actionable and measurable goal.
Example: Old Spice Guy
(2010 Emmy Winner + Super Bowl)
Firm: Wieden + Kennedy
Goal: boost brand
awareness by driving Web
traffic to content about
existing products and
Result: millions of hits
across all platforms (now
46 million just on this
video), and year-on-year
sales for the company’s
products jumped by 27
percent within six months
• Creating a bond between the company and
the consumer is the endgame.
• Social media is a mega phone and can amplify
every message sent out on a global scale.
• Participation is key to a two-way relationship.
• Social Media can touch consumers at every
stage and be a part of everyday life, or not.
Facebook Profiles & Pages
Class goal = To take you from personal
social media use to professional social
Yes, you can still have a personal
Facebook page, it doesn’t have to be a
resume, it can still be your space.
Just lock it down.
We’ll be managing a class page, and
effectively creating buzz about ourselves.
Soon, you’ll be managing pages for
companies – your own company, someone
else’s company or organization.
Social Networks = Social Places
• Our perception of the Web is spatial:
– “cyberspace”, Web “sites”, “home” page
• Your connections are your social network, the
sites are not your social network.
• People prefer to keep their networks separate.
There is a difference in the spaces and who is
there, why they are interacting, and how they
interact with you.
Source: Panayotis Vryonis http://medium.com/how-to-use-the-internet/e74ca8d8c3cb
20 Best Company Facebook Pages
The Top Facebook Pages:
• Steve Spangler Science
• Bare Essentials
• Brendan's Irish Pub
• Burt's Bees
• Candles Off Main
• Community Coffee
• Fresh Brothers
• Johnny Cupcakes
• Mabel’s Labels
• Old Spice
• Red Mango
• Stella & Dot
• Tiny Prints
Source: Inc. Magazine
What’s the Point?
• Who is the target audience?
• What are these pages trying to accomplish?
• When is content being posted?
• Where are they posting it (newsfeed, about,
timeline, apps in Facebook)?
• Why are they posting this type of content?
• How are they interacting with consumers?
“[Pinterest is] Some buzzy new social media site that I keep hearing about
but don’t have time to figure out.”
Source: Forbes Magazine, TechCrunch, Hitwise Data
Social image bookmarking system
Founded by Ben Silbermann, Paul
Sciarra, & Evan Sharp
December 2011: Pinterest becomes
1 of the top 10 largest social
networking services, 11 million total
visits per week. Drove more referral
traffic to retailers than LinkedIn,
YouTube, and Google+
Businesses can have a “virtual
How I Use Pinterest
Right now, through
Castle Sands, I
create boards to
share with other
- Gains new
leads for my
- If someone
repins or likes
an image, I
know it is a
that I will use
Pinterest for Business
4.5 Million followers
as of 8/26/13
“Shoe Lust” 332 pins
(8/26/13) of shoes
that can be bought
on the website,
images from blogging
quotes about shoes
that get re-pinned
and linked back to
Our Pinterest Page
Pinterest to gather
info for university
classes will be on the
rise, very soon.
Our goal: Add all the
students to the
Pinterest page to get
you actively pinning
to the board to use
as a resource now
and when the class is
Connect others on
the social web to our
class and to our