2. Assam's history goes back to ancient times. The base of this history can be found in Tantric literature, Buddhist literature, Assamese folklore and Vedic literature. However, first mention of the state of Assam is found in the epics and the religious legends. The Aryans belonging to the priestly and warrior classes found their way into Assam in very early times. Various places mentioned in the epics, like Mahabharata etc. are now identified with sites in this state. HISTORY OF ASSAM
3. PROFILE OF ASSAM Capital Dispur Area : 78,438 sq Km. Population : 26,638,407 Principal Languages : Assamese Ratio of urban population (2001) : 12.72% Literacy Rate : 64.28% Net Domestic Product (Rs. million at current prices in 1992-93) : Rs. 117360 mln (1992-93, At current prices) Per Capita Income (Rs. at current prices in 1992-93) : Rs. 5056 (1992-93, At current prices) No. of Districts : 23 Cities : Guwahati, Dispur, Dibrugarh, Jorhat
4. ARTS & CRAFTS <ul><li>Cane and Bamboo </li></ul><ul><li>The Jappi, the traditional sunshade continues to be the most prestigious of bamboo items of the state, and it has been in use since the days when the great Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang came to Assam that visitors are welcomed with a jaapi. </li></ul>The people of Assam have traditionally been craftsmen from time immemorial.Though Assam is mostly known for its exquisite silks and the bamboo and caneproducts, several other crafts are also made here
5. Assam Handlooms Assam is the home of several types of silks, the most prominent and prestigious being muga, the golden silk exclusive only to this state. Muga apart, there is paat, as also eri, the latter being used in manufacture of warm clothes for winter.Of a naturally rich golden colour, muga is the finest of India's wild silks.
6. Destinations or Attractions <ul><li>Places of Interest </li></ul>Assam is dominated by the mighty Brahmaputra river that has its origins in Tibet . A grand exposition of the culture and life of people of Assam. It is a multi-arts complex which has been chosen as a venue for many cultural shows.
7. TEMPLES & MONUMENTS <ul><li>The Shakti temple of Mother Goddess Kamakhaya, the greatest shrine of tantric shaktism. </li></ul>The temple of nine planets believed to be the ancient seat of study of Astronomy
8. ADVENTURE The mighty Brahmaputra and its turbulent tributaries are excellent for rafting. Famous for its golden Mahseer, an annual Angling competition is held regularly at Jia Bharali.
9. Cuisine Of Assam Assamese cuisine is the cuisine of Assam , a state in North-East India . It is a mixture of different indigenous styles with considerable regional variations and some external influences. It is characterized by very little use of spices but strong flavors due mainly to the use of endemic exotic herbs, fruits and vegetables that are either fresh, dried or fermented.
10. INDUSTRY <ul><ul><li>TEA </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Tea Of the agriculture-based industries, tea occupies an important place in Assam. The plants used to grow naturally in the Upper Brahmaputra valley. In Assam, tea is grown both in the Brahmaputra and Barak plains. Assam produces 51% of the tea produced in India and about 1/6th of the tea produced in the world </li></ul>
11. GUIDE MAP Important places National Parks/Wildlife Sanctuary
12. <ul><li>THANK YOU </li></ul><ul><li>By </li></ul><ul><li>Fatima Abbas </li></ul>