and vIrtual realIty
The notion of Multimedia
Consistsof two words:
Multi = many; much;
Medium = An intervening substancethrough which
something istransmitted or carried on.
“Multimedia can beany combination of text,
graphics, sound, animation and video, to
effectively communicateideasto usersdelivered
by computer or any other electronic devices.”
• “Multimediaisthepresentation of a(usually
interactive) computer application,
incorporating mediaelementssuch astext,
graphics, video, animation and sound on
computer.” - Stephen McGloughlin
• Multimedia isusually recorded & played,
displayed or accessed by computerized and
electronic devices, but can also bepart of a
• Multimedia also describeselectronic media
devicesused to storeand experience
A PowerPoint presentation used in a corporate office
• Based on EdgarDale (Cone Of Learning), on
average, people remember:
• 10% of what they read,
• 20% of what they hear,
• 30% of what they see,
• 50% of what they hearand see, multimedia
• Multimedia rich elements, multi-sensory delivery
system can facilitate greaterretention of new
A Multimediasystem hasfour basic
– Multimediasystemsmust becomputercontrolled.
– Theinformation they handlemust berepresented
– Theinterfaceto thefinal presentation of mediais
types of MultiMedia
– Usershavevery littlecontrol over thepresentation.
– When it isnot interactiveand theusersjust sit and
– Thepresentation normally playsfrom thestart to
end or even loopscontinually to present the
– E.g. A movieisacommon typeof linear
– Usersdictatetheflow of delivery.
– User control theflow of theshow.
– Theuserscontrol thedelivery of elementsto
control thewhat and when.
– Usershavetheability to movearound or
follow different path through theinformation
– e.g., computer game, computer-based
training, information archive(encyclopedia).
appliCations of MultiMedia
• Multimediafindsitsapplication in variousareas, afew
• Computer-based trainings, referencee-books, documentsimaging,
• Training to doctorsthrough virtual surgery
• Employeetraining, advertisements, customer support, selling
• Art exhibitions, literaturepresentations
– Scientific Research
• Modeling and simulations
Virtual reality (VR) isaterm that appliesto
computer-simulated environmentsthat can
simulatephysical presencein placesin thereal
world, aswell asin imaginary worlds.
“A computer generated, immersive(or wide
field), multi-sensory information program
which tracksauser in real time.”
• Virtual reality isoften used to describeawidevariety
of applicationscommonly associated with immersive,
highly visual, 3D environments. Thedevelopment of
CAD software, graphicshardwareacceleration, head
mounted displays, databasegloves, and
miniaturization havehelped popularizethenotion.
U.S.Navy personnel using a VR
• VR consistsof acomputer-generated, multi-
dimensional environment and interfacetools
that allow usersto:
2) navigatewithin theenvironment, and
3) interact with objectsand other inhabitantsin
Theusageof VR in atraining perspectiveisto
allow professionalsto conduct training in a
virtual environment wherethey can improve
upon their skillswithout theconsequenceof
Marines training with the Future
Immersive Training Environment
• VR playsan important rolein combat training for the
military. It allowstherecruitsto train under a
controlled environment wherethey areto respond to
different typesof combat situations.
• Virtual reality isquickly finding wideacceptancein
themedical community asresearchersand clinicians
alikebecomeawareof itspotential benefits.
• Several pioneer research groupshavealready
demonstrated improved clinical performanceusing
VR imaging, planning and control techniques.
¿Le ha llamado la atención una diapositiva en particular?
Recortar diapositivas es una manera útil de recopilar información importante para consultarla más tarde.