2. Stay Informed Join our E-Club http://bit.ly/SNMe-club to receive our monthly newsletter, with practical tips to increase brand awareness and strategies for more engaging relationships with your clients.Visit and Like our Facebook page http://on.fb.me/KFujSu Go ahead - post your Social Media & WordPress questions and get answers in real time.
3. It Starts With Passion There’s no shortage of creative thinkers out there. What’s a little harder to find are creative thinkers who understand business. That’s where Supernova Media Shines. We are a full service web company. We provide our customers with a uniform custom branded web presence. At Supernova Media we specialize in the speedy setup of WordPress websites & blogs. All our websites are mobile friendly, have onsite search engine optimization and social media integration.
4. Pages Timeline Facebook just unrolled the new Timeline for Pages. The new design for pages combines the much anticipated timeline with ‘pinning’. The format of Timeline for brands is quite similar to Timeline for personal profiles. It employs a cover photo at the top of the Page, and the Page is separated into two main columns by a dividing line, which represents the passage of time. This format provides brands with new options for self- expression: They can outline their corporate history with milestones (such as product launches, store openings, etc.) to construct a narrative for their audience.
5. UpgradeThere are three ways to see a preview of it thatalso presents you with the option to upgrade totimeline right now:•Visit your page•Type the word “page” in the search field at thetop of the Facebook screen; or•Go to the official page dedicated to theredesign.All pages will default to timeline on March 30, butadministrators can publish the new layout asearly as today.
6. FeaturesKey points about timeline pages, as Facebook’scommunications team puts it so eloquently:•Pinned posts keep important stories at the topof your page timeline for up to seven days forgreater visibility.•The new administration panel makes it easyfor page administrators to track theirperformance and to respond to privatemessages from people.•Larger stories, milestones, and page timeline.The new page design allows bigger photos andmilestones that can include a date and othercontent.
7. Preview/UpgradeThe process is running in pretty much the same was as it did when the timeline was rolled out forprofile pages. Page admins are able to preview the new pages until March 30th, when they will bemade permanent for everyone. To preview your page:•Login to Facebook.•Go to facebook.com/about/pages/•Click Preview Your Pages.•Then youll get redirected to facebook.com/pages/status/•From that page, you can select which pages you want to enable Timeline feature. Click Turn OnPreview on the pages you want to enable the timeline or you can simply select Preview All Pages toenable timeline for all the Facebook pages that you administer.•After clicking Preview you must click Publish to enable timeline for your pages. (if you decide todo so before March 30th) Make sure you update your cover photo before you Publish (next slide)•Thats all. You have successfully upgraded your facebook pages to the Timeline.
8. Here’s a look at the new Supernova Media Timeline so you can get an idea on the flow of things.
9. Cover Photo You can add a cover photo from the right hand side of your page. Choose an image that is representative of your brand, and dont be afraid to get creative with it, your cover photo is the first thing people will see when they visit your page. (measurements: Width: 851px, Height: 315px) When choosing your cover photo it is important to follow Facebook’s guideline. Your cover photo cannot include: • Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”. • Contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information that should go in your Page’s “About” section. • References to Facebook features or actions, such as “Like” or “Share” or an arrow pointing from the cover photo to any of these features. • Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”.
10. AdminOne great feature of the new admin isthat you can admin your Page withoutleaving the Page itself. This can beaccessed simply by going on yourFacebook fan page as an admin. Thisadmin panel will be displayed above yourFacebook page cover page but you canhide it if you wish. Admin panel is aserious improvement because it featuresa centralized location for admins as thename would suggest. Admin panel is alsoreally useful for responding tocomments, editing page settings,accessing Page Insights (i.e. Facebookpage analytics), creating new ads, andeven changing the name of your page.
11. Feature Content (Pinning)Use “pin to top” button to feature apost as one of the top posts on yourwall. To do so, click on the upper rightcorner on a post you’d like to feature.Make sure you use an engaging post oran offer. Another option is to featurean ongoing campaign with a stunningvisual, good copywriting and a link.Featured stories will have a lifeline ofseven days which means you can onlypin posts that are recent. Think of thisas a “post of the week” type of thing.
12. AppsThe new Timeline format does not have the left-side panel of links, which could includehundreds of different apps. While applications still exist, they’ll display differently, inrectangular panels underneath the cover photo. The new icons are 75px wide and 75pxhigh. The width of the Timeline and the space allocated for native apps like Photos meansthat only three tab panels are viewable at any given time. To see more, users must expandthe tab panel by clicking a drop-down box.
13. AppsThe easiest way to add the new icon is to: 1. go on your page’s settings 2. click on ‘apps’ 3. scroll down to the application you want to edit 4. click ‘edit settings’ 5. where it says custom tab image, click change 6. click ‘change’ again and upload the photo
14. SettingsFrom the upper right hand side of the admin panel, click“Manage” and then “Use activity log” to edit what kind ofactivities are displayed on your timeline.There are new settings, make sure you choose the fitting.You can edit these settings by clicking on ‘edit page’ andthen ‘manage permissions’. These new settings are: 1. accepting private messages from profiles 2. admin revision – allow users to post on your timelineafter an admin has approved it 3. show the box of ‘recent posts by others’ as yourtimeline’s top right post
15. Profile Photo Your profile picture dimensions are 180 px X 180 px but will then be scaled down to 32 px X 32 px for your icon people see when you comment and make new posts on the timeline. Make sure your picture is of high quality and scales down well because the profile icon that’s being displayed on your timeline’s posts is really small. The best bet is to use your logo.
16. HighlightTimeline is visual, get used to it. To doso, expand a story to the full width oftimeline by starring a story. To do thatclick on the star that can be locatedon the right upper corner. This is greatfor displaying beautiful visual content.
17. MilestonesAdd your company’s milestones that dateback in time (ie: company foundation date, anew product launch etc..) Additionally, writea few sentences about how your companywas created or how your new product waslaunched.The sizes for Facebook milestone picturesare:Width: 843 pixelsHeight: 403 pixelsHere is an example of Coca Colas firstMilestone.
18. Private Message Fans can now private message pages just like they would for friends. If you’re not interested in that, you can simply turn it off on your page’s settings. However, this new messaging feature means that we can engage with our target audience on a new level.
19. Landing PageWhat’s new: With the new Timeline Page format, you will no longer be able to set a default landingPage, a favored feature for many savvy brands. The option was one of the primary ways to controlthe first (branded) impression a user encountered. Since there are no more tab Pages, there is noway to set one as a default. This will drastically change user impressions when they first visit abrand’s Timeline Page. You will need to apply new and careful attention to all the top messages in theTimeline, as they will be the first objects seen by visiting users.
20. Facebook OffersA few retailers are testing a brand newFacebook feature allowing them to createoffers for their fan base… and beyond.It seems this new feature is not a new adunit, per se. It looks more like a new postcategory, in a similar vein to status, photos,links, videos or questions. But we won’tknow for sure until it’s available for all pages.Here is the coupons on Macy’s page wall.Except its specific layout, it behaves like anyother post. You can like it, comment it orshare it.
21. InteractionsHere are a couple great ideas for interacting withyour fans:• Promote Stories on your cover page: Ask your fans to post pictures or tell an interesting story related to them and your brand. Find the most meaningful/moving one and feature it on your timeline’s cover page.• Feature Fan Stories: Ask your fans to post pictures or tell stories about previous/current interactions with your brand. Find an interesting one that you’ll think will work and star it as a featured post for the week.Check out this Verizon Wireless example
22. Conclusion As you can tell, theres a lot to learn and get used to with the new Facebook page design. Use the next month to experiment with your timeline, and achieve the look you want before you publish it to the world. In the meantime, well keep the helpful content coming and do our best to uncover any new best practices as we find them. Get questions about the new Timeline- Ask us!
23. Our ServicesBeing Passionate comes easy when yougenuinely enjoy what you do. We offer an arrayof services at Supernova Media but here’s whatwe do best:• Web Design & Hosting• Consulting• Branding• Virtual ToursWe know that your success is our success.Contact Us
24. About Nancy Bain Nancy is a business owner, educator, and business strategist with more than 20 years experience. When she is not advising and teaching people about social media, Nancy spends a lot of her own time using social media. Find Nancy online: Google+ : Nancy Bain Like Supernova Media on Follow Nancy on Twitter Facebook Visit her Website Find her on LinkedIn Follow her Blog And visit her YouTube Channel