Fifth Semester B.Sc Degree examination
Carrier Related First Degree Programme under CBCSS
Hotel Management and Catering Science
Core Course-BH 1548 Research Methodology
(2010 Admissions Onwards)
Time : 3 hrs Max. Wt : 30
This section consists of four bunches of four questions each. Each bunch carries a weight age
of 1. Answer all questions
I. Choose the most appropriate answer from the following.
1. Research means search for -----------------
a. Truth b. Solution c. Culture d. Knowledge
2. Research is necessary to examine the extent of -----
a. Validity b. Variances c. Problems d. Theories
3. Applied research is concerned with
a. Formulation of theory b. Solution of particular problem c. Achieve a purpose d.
4. A hypothesis means -------------
a. Problem b. Assumption c. Law d. Observation
II. Choose the most appropriate answer from the following
5. Coding consists of
a. Symbols b. Numbers c. Tables d. Diagrams
6. The word percent means per ----------
a. 1000 b. 200 c. 100 d. 500
7. A sample is a representative part of the -----------
a. Population b. Groups c. State d. Districts
8. Census information are collected from
a. Selected individual b. All individual c. Particular group d. Adults
III. Fill in the blanks with the suitable words from those given in brackets.
9. Random sample is a sample selected from -------------
a. House b. Village c. Population d. State
10. Another name of classical method of scientific research
a. Observation methods b. Interview method c. Questionnaire method d. Schedule
11. Schedule method ------------- is applied
a. Census method b. Survey method c. Clinical interview method d. Sampling method
12. Research design is -----------------
a. Blue print b. Report Writing c. Rough copy
IV. Match the following
13. Probability sampling Secondary data
14. Survey of literature Interview method
15. Hypothesis Summarises the data
16. Analysis of date Random sampling
(4 X 1 = 4 wt)
V. Write the short answers to any eight questions in one or two sentences each. Each
questions in one or two sentences each. Each question carries a weight age of 1
18. Null hypothesis
19. What is a pilot study
20. What is tabulation
21. What is bibliography
22. Define clinical interview
23. What is meant by coding
24. Three sources of research problem
25. Case study
26. Research design
27. What you mean by size of the sample.
28. Census method (8 X 1 = 8 wt)
VI. Answer any five questions in not exceeding one paragraph each. Each question carries
a weight age of 2
29. Define secondary data. State their chief sources.
30. Distinguish between pure research and applied research.
31. Explain the characteristics of good research report.
32. Write a short note on exploratory research design.
33. Explain the utility of social science research.
34. Why is ‘review of literature’ included in a research report?. What is its purpose?
35. Write a short note on sources of research problems
36. What do you mean by analysis of data?
(5 X 2 = 10 wt)
VII. Answer any two questions in not exceeding four pages each.
37. Explain the contents of a research design
38. Explain the contents of a research report
39. Give the meaning of research. What are the different types of research
(2 X 4 =8 wt)