Major Project Presentation
SUMAN SOURABH - 065
GANDHARV RANA - 067
VIKRAM JASWAL - 068
GAURAV KAPOOR - 090
• State of technology
• Schematic diagram
• Materials used
• Pros and Cons
• Future prospects
• Queries ?
• Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) is a technology for
generating renewable energy that uses the temperature difference
between the deep cold and relatively warmer surface waters of the
ocean to generate baseload electricity.
• Since OTEC exploits renewable solar energy, recurring costs to
generate electrical power are minimal.
• The high fixed costs dominate the economics of OTEC to the extent
that it currently cannot compete with conventional power systems.
• Closed cycle OTEC.
• Conventionaly, Cold sea water is used as a heat
exchanger. It is inefficient and reduces the overall
efficiency by 10-15%.
• We have used THERMOELECTRIC MODULE for make
this process more efficient.
• A water level detector which indicates critical
water levels in the surface water holding tank.
• We have used THERMOELECTRIC MODULE for make the
condensor more efficient.
• The module is connected in closed cycle.
• The 5V DC output is provided to the module which, according
to “PELTIER EFFECT”, produces a temperature difference ie. a
cold surface on one side and hot surface on the other.
• The colder surface of the module is attached to the condensor
which improves the condensation of unutilized steam and thus
increases the overall cycle efficiency of OTEC.
INLET WATER TANK WITH
WATER LEVEL INDICATOR
3V AC, 3000 rpm 3v to 9v AC
• PRESSURE COOKER as a boiler.
• 3V AC, 3000 rpm tubine.
• 3-9V AC Step up Transformer.
• TEC-12709 Termoelectric Module with
• Elecronic componenets : Diodes, NPN
Transistors, LM5708, Buzzer, circuit board.
• Inlet water tank holds the ocean surface water . A water pump is used to
move the water to the boiler. We have used pressure cooker as a boiler.
• The steam produces rushes to the turbine section thereby rotating the 3V
• A step up transformer used steps up the voltage to 9V.
• The rectifier section converts the AC voltage to DC voltage which is used
to charge a battery. By using a voltage limiter circuit , we can also charge
• The unused steam from the turbine reaches the condenser where the
steam is converted to water , which is fedback to the water inlet tank.
in open loop
• OTEC technology has the potential to be integrated with other
commercial systems (e.g., aquaculture and sea water air
conditioning) and products (e.g., potable water, ammonia, and
• Energy and Economics can be enhanced by employing super
efficient Hybrid cycle OTEC.
• Addressing Impacts of OTEC.