2. will what I ask for be granted?does sin hinder myprayer? can I change Gods mind?why pray if Godknows? How do I pray?
3. prescribed prayers long prayers (Daniel 6:10) (Mark 12:40) Warning to be seen and heard bymeaningless repetitions men(1 Kings 18:26, 29, Matthew 6:7) (Matthew 6:5)
4. ‎njustice I (Isaiah 1:15-17, Proverbs 21:13) ‎ isobedience D(Zechariah 7:13, Deuteronomy 1:43-45) Selfishness (1 John 5:14, James 4:3) Pride (Luke 18:10-24) Sin (Isaiah 59:2, Psalm 66:18) Lack of faith (James 1:6-7)
5. 1. We learn to depend on God2. Screens our desires and aligns them to His will3. Reminds our forgetful selves of His providence4. God proves Himself to be a present aid5. It is a relationship!
6. Lord / Disciple’s prayer Element learnedOur Father A personal relationship with Godwhich art in heaven Faithhallowed be thy name Worshipthy kingdom come Expectationthy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven Submissiongive us this day our daily bread Petitionand forgive us our debts Confessionas we forgive our debtors Compassionand lead us not into temptation, but deliver Dependenceus from evilfor thine is the kingdom, and the power, and Acknowledgementthe glory forever
7. 1. Focus on God, not yourself2. Find a prayer partner3. Know His Word4. Ask the Spirit to help you5. Seek and serve His kingdom
8. “When we come to God in prayer, we do notcome hypocritically like play actors seeking theapplause of men, nor mechanically like paganbabblers, whose mind is not in their mutterings,but thoughtfully, humbly and trustfully like littlechildren to their Father” - John Stott
9. “Prayer is the breath of faith. Prayer meetingsare the lungs of the church.” - Charles H. Spurgeon“I have so much to do today that I shall neverget through it with less than three hours’prayer.” - Martin Luther
10. will what His will is I ask for all that be matters. granted? Yes, does sin along hinder with my other prayer? things. can I change No. Gods mind? His lovefor uspray why + us if God needing the knows?reminder. Confession, How do I humility, pray? sincerity, and faith.
11. His will is all that matters. Yes, along with other things. No. His lovefor us + us needing thereminder. Confession, humility, sincerity, and faith.
12. • Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion. Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997. Institutes III, xx.• Ellsworth, Roger. Opening Up James. Leominster: Day One Publications, 2009. pp 14–15.• Freedman, David Noel. The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. New York: Doubleday, 1996. V 5, pp 449–450.• Long, Jimmy. Small Group Leaders Handbook: The Next Generation. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 1997.• MacArthur, John F., Jr. Alone With God. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1995. pp 33–39.• Manser, Martin H. Zondervan Dictionary of Bible Themes. The Accessible and Comprehensive Tool for Topical Studies. Grand Rapids, MI: ZondervanPublishingHouse, 1999.• Spurgeon, C. H. and Tom Carter. 2,200 Quotations : From the Writings of Charles H. Spurgeon : Arranged Topically or Textually and Indexed by Subject, Scripture, and People. Trade pbk. ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1995. p 149.• Spurgeon, Charles H. Spurgeons Sermons: Volume 17. electronic ed. Logos Library System; Spurgeons Sermons. Albany, OR: Ages Software, 1998.• Spurgeon, Charles H. Spurgeons Sermons: Volume 18. electronic ed. Logos Library System; Spurgeons Sermons. Albany, OR: Ages Software, 1998.• Spurgeon, Charles H. Spurgeons Sermons: Volume 23. electronic ed. Logos Library System; Spurgeons Sermons. Albany, OR: Ages Software, 1998.• Spurgeon, Charles H. Morning and Evening : Daily Readings. Complete and unabridged; New modern edition. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2006. Feb 19 AM.• Torrey, R. A. How to Work for Christ a Compendium of Effective Methods. Chicago; New York: Fleming H. Revell, 1901. pp 376–377.• Willmington, H.L. Willmingtons Book of Bible Lists. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale, 1987. pp 244–253.• Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. Ed. Gerhard Kittel, Geoffrey W. Bromiley and Gerhard Friedrich. electronic ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1964-. V 2, pp 778–784.