Transcript of "Created In The Image Of God (TiS Version)"
Who am I?
The question of our
creation in the image
Is there a What is of God is a debate
Creator? morality? about the status of
human life, our
identity and value.
Why am I
• Human moralityabsolute vs. relative?
• Post-human morality?
• “From an ethical perspective we all stand on
equal footing whether it be 2 feet or 4 feet or
none at all.” - Jeremy Benthem (English Philosopher from 1748-1832)
• “There is no reason to think that a fish suffers
less when dying in a net than a fetus suffers
during an abortion” - Peter Singer (bio-ethicist and Australian
• “the life of a new born baby is of less value to
it than the life of a pig, a dog, or a
chimpanzee” - Peter Singer (bio-ethicist and Australian Philosopher)
• “Then God said, Let us make man in our
image, in our likeness, and let them rule over
the fish of the sea and the birds of the air,
over the livestock, over all the earth, and over
all the creatures that move along the ground.'
So God created man in his own image, in the
image of God he created him; male and
female he created them” - Genesis 1:26-27
1. Physical resemblance?
2. Does God look more like a male or female?
3. What are the other options?
4. Where does this come from?
applying human-like qualities to God
• Face (Numbers 6:24)
• Eyes/ears (Psalm 34:15)
• Hand/arm (Exodus 7:5, Psalm 89:10)
applying animal-like qualities to God
• Lion (Hosea 5:14)
• Bear (Hosea 3:18)
• Wings (Psalm 57:1)
Anthropopathism; applying human-like emotions to God (laughter (Psalms 2:4, 37:13), anger (Exodus 4:14), grieving, etc.). Distinct difference is
God is not controlled by emotions like us.
• “God is spirit, and his worshipers must
worship in spirit and in truth.” – John 4:24
• “Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself!
Touch me and see; a ghost does not have
flesh and bones, as you see I have.” – Luke 24:39
• “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man
shall his blood be shed; for in the image of
God has God made man.” – Genesis 9:6
• “the LORD God formed the man from the dust
of the ground and breathed into his nostrils
the breath of life, and the man became a
living being.” – Genesis 2:7
• “God blessed them and said to them, "Be
fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth
and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea
and the birds of the air and over every living
creature that moves on the ground.” – Genesis
• We are material but that's not all (Genesis 2:7)
• We have an aesthetic sense (Genesis 2:9)
• We have a disciplined purpose in work (Genesis
• We have a sense of curiosity (Genesis 2:10)
• We have a need for
companionship/fellowship (Genesis 2:18)
• We have the freedom to choose right from
wrong (Genesis 2:16-17)
Image of God refers to the immaterial (spirit) part of man
value reason choice abstract
worship soul works social
• Battle for human loyalty... "am I going to be
loyal to God? or am I going to be loyal to the
animal?" - John Lennox (Bio-ethicist and Oxford Professor
(Mathematics and Philosophy of Science)
A correct understanding of our origins dictates
how we live our life, how we value others, and
what we focus upon during our time on earth.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.