Few Statistics about Rural India: …
Few Statistics about Rural India:
1. 46% of the soft drinks sales happen in rural areas.
2. Rural India accounts for 49% of motorcycle sales.
3. Rural India accounts for 59% of Cigarettes sales.
4. 53% of FMCG sales happen at Rural India.
5. Talcum powder is used by more than 25% of rural India.
6. Lipsticks are used by more than 11% of the rural women and less than 22% of the urban women.
7. ~ 10% of Maruti Suzuki’s sales come from the rural market.
8. More than 90 percent of rural households in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh did not have access to toilets within their premises
9. Connectivity –In 2006: 13% in rural India had to travel > 30minutes; 2008: just 2%!
10. When it comes to connectivity, Rural Indian BOP segment has grown more than urban in last year
11. Nearly 50% of the villages in the country do not have all weather roads, making physical communication to these villages highly expensive.
A survey by India's premier economic research entity, (NCAER) indicates that rise in rural incomes is keeping pace with the rise in urban incomes. Rural middle class is growing at 12%, close to the urban middle class which is growing at 13%.
In 20 years, rural Indian Market will be larger than the total consumer markets in countries such as South Korea or Canada today, & almost 4 times the size of today’s urban Indian market.
The marketers who understand the rural consumer and fine tune their strategy are sure to reap benefits in the coming years. In fact, the leadership in any product or service is linked to leadership in the rural India except for few lifestyle-based products, which depend on urban India mainly.