CUSTOMER PERCEPTION OF
AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR QUALITY (ASQ)
SURVEY SHOWS THAT IMPORTANT
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE PURCHASING
• Fitness for use
• It indicates that the product and services is
ready for the customers’ use at the time of
• Other consideration:
• Availability: it is the probability that a product
will operate when needed
• Reliability: it is freedom from failure over time
• Maintainability: it is the case of keeping the
• Features are the secondary
characteristics of the product or
• Example: cell phone, TV
• Customer service is an intangible in
• Intangible characteristics are those
trains that are not quantifiable, but it
contributes greatly to customer
• The customer at the right time, even
though the customers are not
complaining about their service
• Company or organization to give public
promise of the quality product.
• It represents a public commitment to
guarantee a level of service sufficient to
satisfy the customer.
• A warranty forces the organization to focus
on the customers’
• The warranty attracts and builds the market.
• It encourages customers to buy a service by
reducing the risk of the purchase decisions
• Nowadays customer is willing to pay
a higher price to obtain value.
• Also customers expect high quality
products at the lower price.
• The organization should identify,
verify and update each customer’s
perception of value in relation to
each product and service regularly.
• The customers are willing to buy
products or service from a known,
trusted and reputed organization.
• The total customer satisfaction is based
on, not only with the product the entire
experience with the organization.
• The reputation of a firm brings the
market to them. So organization should
strive for customers for life.
Factors influencing customer
perception of quality
BEFORE PURCHASES AT POINT OF PURCHASE AFTER PURCHASE
Company’s brand name
Performance specifications Ease of installation and
Previous experience Comments of sales people Handling of repairs,
Opinions of friends Warranty provision Spare parts availability
Store reputation Service and repair policies Service effectiveness
Published test results Support programs Reliability
Advertised price for
Quoted price for