1. Alexander the Great and the Succession 336 <ul><li>Alexander ascended to the throne of Macedon in 336 BC at the age of 20 </li></ul><ul><li>The initial change went smoothly, but, like any ruler, Alexander had a tricky early period to overcome. We will soon see how he overcame these problems </li></ul>BUT How would you have done in his place?
2. Competition <ul><li>Alexander carried out a full state funeral for his father with due pomp and ceremony </li></ul><ul><li>Alexander’s position was far from secure though. His cousin Amyntas who was married to one of Philip’s daughters, may well have become a focus of a plot to usurp Alexander’s position </li></ul>What do you do?
3. Attalus <ul><li>Attalus was in Asia Minor with his army </li></ul><ul><li>Apparently he has been in treasonable correspondence with Demosthenes, the leader of Athens </li></ul>What do you do? Tread carefully Attalus is extremely popular with the men.
4. More News Attalus has sent Demosthenes' letters as a sign of his loyalty and goodwill. Does this change your decision?
5. Macedonia <ul><li>There is some unease amongst the Macedonian nobility and the ordinary people are also unsure . </li></ul>How do you win them over?
6. The League of Corinth <ul><li>The League is disintegrating </li></ul><ul><li>Rebellion ha sprung up amongst the Greek states and the northern tribes! </li></ul>
8. Rebellion Hotspots <ul><li>Athens is ready to fight </li></ul><ul><li>Aetolia are showing a willingness to fight </li></ul><ul><li>Thebes has expelled all Macedonian troops stationed there </li></ul><ul><li>Sparta is prepared to rebel and are collaborating with Athens </li></ul><ul><li>Thrace and Illyria have risen up </li></ul>You are surrounded on all sides. Formulate a plan to deal with this