Analysing Social Media Networks:
What Is A Network?
• A network or graph is a collection of n nodes connected by m edges. A network can be
directed, meaning the edges point in one direction, or undirected, meaning the edges go in
both directions. The edges can join more than two vertices together. Such graphs are called
hyper graphs. The edges can be weighted, contain self loops, and have different properties
within the edges or nodes.”
Social Network Analysis
• A systematic method for understanding relationships between entities(called vertices or
nodes) and connections between those entities (called edges or ties).
• A robust set of concepts and mathematical language for dealing with relational data. It is
called Social Network Analysis.
• Relational data” such as “who is friends with who” or “who has influenced who”.
• Social media tools such as email, discussion forums, blogs, micro-blogs, and wikis are used by
billions of people worldwide.
What Is NodeXL?
NodeXL is a free, open-source template for Microsoft® Excel® 2007, 2010 and
2013 that makes it easy to explore network graphs. With NodeXL, you can
enter a network edge list in a worksheet, click a button and see your graph, all
in the familiar environment of the Excel window.
It makes Social Network Analysis easy for anyone familiar with basic
It was designed especially to facilitate learning the concepts and methods of
social network analysis with visualization as a key component
NodeXL has been optimized for analysing online social media –it includes
built-in connections to query the APIs of Twitter, Flickr, Facebook and
YouTube, allowing you to draw networks of users and their activity.
APIs: Application Programming Interfaces
Who Requires NodeXL ?
Students who are learning social network analysis.
Professionals who are interested in applying network analysis to business
problems and particularly for those who lack experience with programming
The latest release enhances NodeXL's Twitter Search Network feature by
expanding the network to include all people who were “replied to” or
“mentioned” by the people who tweeted the search term, but who didn't
tweet the search term themselves.
Common Social Network Sites For Analyzer
Data Set Import Options:
And Many More…..
Primitives of NodeXL
Two primary building blocks:
• vertices (also called nodes or agents or people)
• Edges (also called ties or connections or relationship)
Groups – cluster of vertices
Graph type (directed or undirected)
Graph layouts and graph Refresh
Parameter: Measuring And Visualizing Networks
Calculating Graph Metrics
• Overall Graph Metrics
• Degree(Undirected Graph) , IN & OUT Degree(Directed Graph)
• Betweeness And Closeness Centralities
• And Many Others..
Generate Sub Graph Image of Each Vertices
• Setting Filters
• Visualization Options of Edges, Vertices And Group Like Color, Shape, Label, Visibility
Personal Email Collection
Social Network Graphing Using Facebook Data
My Facebook Friends, Sriram Highlighted
• Flexible Import and Export Import and export graphs in
GraphML, Pajek, UCINet, and matrix formats.
• Direct Connections to Social Networks Import social networks directly from
Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and email, or use one of several available plug-ins to
get networks from Facebook, Exchange and WWW hyperlinks.
• Zoom and Scale Zoom into areas of interest, and scale the graph's vertices to
• Flexible Layout Use one of several "force-directed" algorithms to lay out the
graph, or drag vertices around with the mouse. Have NodeXL move all of the
graph's smaller connected components to the bottom of the graph to focus
on what's important.
• Easily Adjusted Appearance Set the colour, shape, size, label, and opacity of
individual vertices by filling in worksheet cells, or let NodeXL do it for you
based on vertex attributes such as degree, betweenness centrality or
• Dynamic Filtering Instantly hide vertices and edges using a set of sliders—
hide all vertices with degree less than five, for example.
• Powerful Vertex Grouping Group the graph's vertices by common
attributes, or have NodeXL analyze their connectedness and automatically
group them into clusters. Make groups distinguishable using shapes and
color, collapse them with a few clicks, or put each group in its own box within
the graph. "Bundle" intergroup edges to make them more manageable.
• Graph Metric Calculations Easily calculate degree, betweenness
centrality, closeness centrality, eigenvector centrality, PageRank, clustering
coefficient, graph density and more.
• Task Automation Perform a set of repeated tasks with a single click.
Visualize Your Facebook Network
• Through Social Network Importer:
Download the zip file
Unzip the file: you will find two items:
Copy these files to the NodeXL Plug-ins
Directory (C:Program FilesSocial Media
Research FoundationNodeXL Excel
Restart NodeXL: you should see the
Facebook Import option in the
• Through GraphML Import Option:
Download your social network data with
the app -
Choose to download in the GraphML
Save it to your local machine and make
sure that the extension of the file is
Now import your Graphml file in NodeXL
and play with it (Identify your friend
clusters, calculate the graph metrics, add
Closing Thought !
• Once Network data is available then social network analyzer can formulate its
organizational, marketing and branding strategies.
• To tackle increasingly complex datasets and challenging problems. We’ll be
contributing to the lively and growing field of social network analysis.
• We have to use the various features of NodeXL to analyse the social media
network. However, knowing how to apply them effectively will resolve real-
world problems .