Patient-Centered Medical Home:Get Started in 5 Steps
The Patient Centered Medical Home(PCMH) is a care delivery modeldesigned to strengthen the physician-patient relationship by moving fromepisodic care to coordinated care and anongoing relationship with a physician-led"care team.”
The PCMH model is becoming widelyacknowledged as a key to health carereform. Today, more than 7,600practitioners have achieved PCMHrecognition through NCQA.
Medical home recognition carriesnumerous benefits, including nationalrecognition, increased marketcompetitiveness and the potential forincreased reimbursement, amongothers.
So how can your organization getstarted on the path to clinictransformation? Start transforming yourclinic to a PCMH with these five steps:
1. Assemble a team andestablish a leader.Obtain buy-in from all levels of theorganization and determine who will leadefforts to transform your clinic into aPCMH. Identify key team members,such as super users and physicianchampions.
2. Educate yourself aboutthe PCMH model.Before you can begin working towardsPCMH recognition, you’ll need tofamiliarize yourself with required PCMHstandards.
2. Educate yourself aboutthe PCMH model.Learn about key domains of patient-centered care and specific objectivesyou will need to meet in order to earnPCMH recognition.
3. Gauge your practice’sreadiness for PCMH.Conduct a readiness assessment todetermine your practice’s baselinePCMH score and gain an understandingof the amount of change that will berequired.
3. Gauge your practice’sreadiness for PCMH.For instance, do you already have theadvanced health IT that is critical toPCMH achievement?
4. Ask your EHR vendorabout their PCMH experience.If your EHR vendor has worked withother clients who have achievedrecognition, they may be a good sourceof assistance.
4. Ask your EHR vendorAbout their PCMH experience.Depending on their experience, yourvendor may be able to provide youaccess to full correlating reports, samplepolicies and procedures, step-by-stepbest-practice workflows and lessonslearned from other clients who haveearned PCMH recognition.
5. Make a plan.Outline goals, objectives and specificaction items needed to achieve PCMHrecognition. Set a timeline for achievingeach step and designate theaccountable team member. Benchmarkyour progress, and make adjustments asnecessary.
Want more details on thePCMH model?•What is a Medical Home?•Why PCMH?•PCMH Accreditation: Fast Facts•Download a free PCMH white paper•Access a free recorded PCMH webinar
Learn more!Our website hosts a wealth of freeresources, including white papers, casestudies, industry blog, newslettercovering current events in health care,tips and tricks for your practice, andother informative articles. www.successehs.com