It’s the process of collectingIt’s the process of collecting
and storing rain water in a scientificand storing rain water in a scientific
Controlled manner for future use.Controlled manner for future use.
It involves collection of rainIt involves collection of rain
water from house rooftops , throughwater from house rooftops , through
gutters ,its filtration and subsequentgutters ,its filtration and subsequent
Storage in a reservoir.Storage in a reservoir.
• Improves ground water availability and quality.Improves ground water availability and quality.
• Reduces the effect of drought and flood.Reduces the effect of drought and flood.
• Soil erosion will be reduced.Soil erosion will be reduced.
• Immediate availability of fresh water.Immediate availability of fresh water.
• Environment friendly for better livingEnvironment friendly for better living
• THERE ARE 3 METHODS OF RAINTHERE ARE 3 METHODS OF RAIN
WATER HARVESTING..WATER HARVESTING..
ROOFTOP HARVESTING.ROOFTOP HARVESTING.
OPEN SPACE HARVESTING.OPEN SPACE HARVESTING.
GROUND WATER RE-CHARGE.GROUND WATER RE-CHARGE.
6. ROOFTOP HARVESTINGROOFTOP HARVESTING
Rain water harvesting fromRain water harvesting from
individual house roofs or roofs of flatsindividual house roofs or roofs of flats
and complexes is called rooftopand complexes is called rooftop
7. OPEN SPACE HARVESTINGOPEN SPACE HARVESTING
undertaken inundertaken in
parks &parks &
open spaces byopen spaces by
harvesting pondsharvesting ponds
is defined asis defined as
open spaceopen space
8. STEPS INVOLVED IN OPENSTEPS INVOLVED IN OPEN
SPACE HARVESTINGSPACE HARVESTING
• In large parks, storage of rain water inIn large parks, storage of rain water in
small ponds is possible. This allows groundsmall ponds is possible. This allows ground
water recharge.water recharge.
• Rainwater run-off from open space & pavedRainwater run-off from open space & paved
areas can be stored in underground sumps.areas can be stored in underground sumps.
• In the cities, rainwater run-off hasIn the cities, rainwater run-off has
increased & ground water recharge hasincreased & ground water recharge has
decreased due to asphalted roads &decreased due to asphalted roads &
9. GROUND WATERGROUND WATER
• It is a method ofIt is a method of
rainwater byrainwater by
putting it back intoputting it back into
the soil to increasethe soil to increase
the decliningthe declining
ground water tableground water table..
10. •Before recharging, the water isBefore recharging, the water is
filtered by passing it through afiltered by passing it through a
filtration bed of sand & brokenfiltration bed of sand & broken
•Rainwater can be harvested fromRainwater can be harvested from
the roof tops or open spaces.Thethe roof tops or open spaces.The
harvested water is directed intoharvested water is directed into
the ground for recharging.the ground for recharging.
•The filtered water is then directedThe filtered water is then directed
into an open well or borewellinto an open well or borewell..
Watershed is anWatershed is an
area of land fromarea of land from
which rainwaterwhich rainwater
drains out to adrains out to a
common pointcommon point....
12. TYPES OF WATERSHEDTYPES OF WATERSHED
• Micro-watershed join together to form a sub-Micro-watershed join together to form a sub-
• Many Sub-watershed make up a macro-Many Sub-watershed make up a macro-
• Macro-watershed finally flow into the oceans.Macro-watershed finally flow into the oceans.
13. AIMS OF WATERSHEDAIMS OF WATERSHED
• To utilize the natural resources efficiently.To utilize the natural resources efficiently.
• To maintain environmental and ecologicalTo maintain environmental and ecological
• To increase the vegetative cover.To increase the vegetative cover.
• To use the land to its optimum capabilityTo use the land to its optimum capability..