11.15.12 CBIG Event - Dan Sweet\'s Presentation

231 views
148 views

Published on

"Data Visualization- Cognitive Psychology and Design Principles for Effective Visual Communication”

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
231
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • WSU, ND, LA, Boston, Cincy
  • I love gadgets – sometimes I feel a little like this though.What if I could just have a simple dashboard where I could see everything.
  • Box – 18,000 P&G seats - $284 MM fundingDropbox - $250 MM fundingMint.com - $170 MM sale to IntuitKayak - $1.8B accquisition by Priceline.com
  • 11.15.12 CBIG Event - Dan Sweet\'s Presentation

    1. 1. Data VisualizationCognitive Psychology and DesignPrinciples for Effective VisualCommunicationDan SweetNovember 15, 2012
    2. 2. What is the business question?Does your solution get used? Why not?
    3. 3. Workplace Challenges• Communication• Influence others more senior than you• Effectively and persuasively share analysisHowever, the bulk of the people we work withare human. Humans are emotional creatures ofhabit and don’t always listen to reason.
    4. 4. Role of the analyst• Rational objective analysis• Accurate• Impartial• DispassionateASSUMPTION: Objective Reality ExistsDoes it?
    5. 5. Deciding on having surgery…90% chance of survival10% chance of deathWill you have the surgery?
    6. 6. Problem with humans • Action preferred over accuracy • Ambiguity is inherent in life • Ambiguity ≈ Risk • Risk  Negative Emotions • Motivation: Pursuing Gains or Avoiding Losses • Avoiding Losses > Pursuing Gains Result is a tendency to make decisions on feelings instead of knowledge“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
    7. 7. Much Information Processing is: •Holistic •Low Involvement •Habitual •Affect/Emotion Driven •Driven by past experiences“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
    8. 8. Low Involvement Logic Benefits of graphics that can be processed at this level: • Fluent Processing Of Highly Accessible Information • Feelings of Familiarity • Approach Behavior Key Question: Given the question and the broader communication context, is your graphic “message” intuitive?“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
    9. 9. Tell a Story • Integrate information presented • Create a more concrete and familiar context • Lead to increased fluency/ease of processing the information • Create relevant emotions/affect • Help link to existing knowledge Make your message more memorable and likely to impact behavior“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
    10. 10. Design Principles
    11. 11. Data-Ink Ratio
    12. 12. 2D vs. 3D
    13. 13. Why is 3D “harder”?“Human Based Visual Communication” presentation by Dan Young – Corporate CMK
    14. 14. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
    15. 15. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
    16. 16. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
    17. 17. http://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069
    18. 18. Accessibility
    19. 19. UsingColor
    20. 20. Application
    21. 21. Redesigned credit: www.perpetualedge.com
    22. 22. CreditsCognitive psychology elements from a Dan Young(Corporate CMK) presentation titled “Human BasedVisual Communication” presented at the 2011Statistics Symposium.Books written by Edward Tufte and Stephen FewStephen Few’s site: perceptualedge.comhttp://www.slideshare.net/janwillemtulp/data-visualization-5724069

    ×