2. OBJECTIVES2 To design microstrip patch antenna array configuration with high gain, large bandwidth and smaller size for Wi-MAX applications.
3. INTRODUCTION3 Antenna is a electrical device which converts electrical power into radio waves . This paper proposes the design of 4-element microstrip patch antenna. It uses corporate feed technique for excitation. Taconic is the dielectric substrate (εr=2.2) The design is simulated using FEKO software. Frequency range – 1 to 6 GHz. Attractive for airborne and spacecraft applications. Size reduction using high dielectric materials. Narrow bandwidth should be enhanced. Different feeding techniques
4. MICROSTRIP PATCH4 ANTENNA Consists of thin metallic strip called patch. Thickness of patch ( t << λ0 ) Low profile Simple and inexpensive Patch radiates first because of fringing fields. Mechanically robust to mount
8. Conti…8 Parameters to be discussed Gain Return Loss Impedance Radiation Pattern Softwares Required FEKO SONNET
9. Existing Technique9
10. MICROSTRIP CORPORATE10 FEED Provide power split of 2n (n=2,4,8,16…). It also uses quarter wavelength transformer method. Phase can be controlled using phase shifter. Amplitude can be adjusted using either attenuator or amplifier.
12. Conti…13 Easy to fabricate. Simple to match the impedance by controlling the inset position. Conducting strip is directly connected to the edge of the patch. If thickness increases, surface waves and spurious feed radiation increases.
13. Co-axial / probe14 Inner conductor extends through dielectric. Outer conductor connected to ground plane. Feed can be placed anywhere in the patch. Low spurious radiation. Broad bandwidth applications, even for a thick dielectric substrate. Used in Wi -MAX applications.
15. MICROSTRIP CORPORATE16 FEED Provide power split of 2n(n=2,4,8,16….). It also uses quarter wavelength transformer method. Phase can be controlled using phase shifter. Amplitude can be adjusted using either attenuator or amplifier.
16. DESIGN CONSIDERATION17 Frequency of operation(f0): 9-11 GHz Dielectric constant ( εr): 2.2 Dielectric substrate: TACONIC Height of dielectric substrate(h): 2.87mm
17. By using FEKO SUITE, we have designed the Microstrip Patch Antenna.SOFTWARE USED18
18. Microstrip patch MICROSTRIP PATCH PARAMETERS parameters from19 FEKO software PATCH OBTAINED PARAMETERS VALUES F Frequency(Hz) 8.475 Hz GAIN Gain(dB) 6.8 dB RETURN LOSS Return loss(dB) -6.8 dB RESULT OF SIMULATION
19. 20 Used in air borne and spacecraft applications. Highly suitable for x-band applications. In satellite and military systems. APPLICATIONS
20. 21 Simple, Small size and high efficiency antenna can be designed. Return loss, gain and efficiency are acceptable Bandwidth enhancement of 20dB is possible Our future work will be carried out using different feeding techniques with different CONCLUSION software………