2. Outline Introduction Mission Services What to Expect From a Counselor Counselor’s Job What does a Counselor Offer Other Resources Contacts
3. Introduction Introductory video clip
4. Mission To engage students in their efforts to identify, pursue and attain their career-related goals. To serve students by providing career assessment, coaching, counseling, resources and opportunities to advance the achievement of their career- related goals. To partner with employers to create a strong and vibrant experiential and employment network that serves our student populations career-related goals. To partner with faculty and with parent and alumni groups to actively engage them as vital resources to support and sustain students throughout their career transition processes.
5. Services Students & Alumni Faculty Employers
6. Services for Students & Alumni Career & Educational Planning Individual work with a career counsellor University 200: Major/Career Decisions Career Information Print and on-line resources on majors, occupations, labour market trends People contacts, including alumni and employers Gaining Experience Internships, Co-op and part-time work University 300: Career Readiness Internship Fair
7. Cont… Preparing for the Job Search Workshops, resume critiques and mock interviews with employers University 400: Transition to the workplace Preparing for Graduate School Admission Print, video and online resources University 400: Transition to Grad School Connecting with Employers for Jobs Job listings and resume referral online On-Campus Interviewing Mason Job Fair Website links Visits to employer work sites Annual Virginia Minority Career Day
8. What to Expect from CareerCounselor Counselors information is available online: http://careers.gmu.edu/about/staff/ you can read the staff Biographies to determine who is the most suitable for your background.
9. Counselor’s Job Learn about yourself Discover how your interests, skills, and values relate to careers Take career assessments using one of our many tools Develop individualized career plans Understand and research career options Learn how to use our Career Library and online resources Explore majors and careers that might be a good fit for you
10. Cont… Find a job or internship to test career options and gain career-related experience Have your resume or cover letter reviewed Practice interviewing and networking skills Learn about career workshops, Patriot Job Web internship and job listings, On-Campus Interviewing, and networking events Identify potential employers for internships or jobs Explore graduate school Explore options for additional education or training Learn about applying for and financing graduate/professional school Prepare to move into the work world Practice salary negotiation, compare job offers, and make the best impression on the job.
11. What Counselor Will Offer Individual plan: personalized attention and a relationship- oriented approach to your needs Tools to assess your personality, skills, interests, and values Help you research career opportunities and practical guidance to prepare for the job market Specialized expertise and strategies for making connections in your target career field Inside information on the region’s leading employers and direct access to top-quality career opportunities Comprehensive, integrated, and centralized services
12. Resources Career Services Calendar Events : all the information about interview, internship or workshop for the whole semester HireMason Mason Human Resources: you can search and apply for a employment by the searching engines. The Chronicle of Higher Education: they have a job center on the homepage, you can search for a job employment and interview information easily by typing keywords.
13. Contact Information Student Union Building I, Room 3400 Phone: 703-993-2370 Fax: 703-993-2361 Email: email@example.com Mail Stop 3B6 4400 University Drive Fairfax, VA 22030-4444 careers.gmu.edu