• What is the difference between….– What you “look up” and what you “find out”?
• What is the difference between….– What we “think” and what we “know”?
I think because of …• My experiences ….. Such as?• My makeup …. Such as?
My Experiences• The way I was raised• The education I have• Past decisions• What I chose to read, listen to, watch
My makeup• My generation• Who I am associated with• My fears• My faith
• Get back into the way-back machine– Galileo and the leaning tower of Pisa• what did he think?• could he look it up?• How did he find out?– Issac Newton’s apple tree• What did he experience and how did he explain it?– Something he thought or knew?
I know because• I have done the research and examined thedata• Or• I have read the results of research andexamined the methodology and work.
Scientific Theory• Question -- always begins with a question• Theory – We think we have an answer – a theory• Hypothesis – We write the answer so it can be tested• Test – We design a test – an experiement• Data – We collect the data from our test• Revise – We analyze the data and ask the next question
• Natural use of the scientific method!• (Theories-in-action)• Trial = hypothesis stated• Error or Success = data generated• New trial = statement of new or revisedhypothesis• etc.• Surprises caused by unexpected data lead torevision of theories, which are then tested
• The next five slides are terms that are significantin doing and understanding research. Take amoment with each of them and find a definitionyou can remember and that makes sense to you.• Finally there is a final slide where you need tothink back to your statistics and remember allthere is to know about the term. And, then youwill need to remember what impact there is tocausation.
• What is the meaning of “statisticallysignificant”?
• From statistics – what is meant by correlation?• And, finally – what is the connection betweencorrelation and causation?
Then there are some things …• There are some absolutes for me.– My faith• He is God, I am not• Jesus is God incarnate – the living word• He died for my sins or I would have to• Scripture is God’s word even though I don’t always knowwhat it means– Scientific method• Statistically significant– Magic number – the “N”, it makes all the rest work.– Chance – I must be able to have an assurance– Probability – what are the odds ( and they have to be really good)
Maybe …• This should be…– Some things I think,– Some things I know,– Some things I believe.