View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
EDUCAUSE2013 Southeast Regional ConferenceConnecting Virtual Teaching and Evaluation:The Progression from Training OnlineFaculty to SupervisorsMrs. Shawndra T. Bowers,eLearning CoordinatorDr. Kenley Obas,Associate Vice President for Academic Computing
http://www.polleverywhere.com/multiple_choice_polls/Kb3RExWblMdciLcThis presentation leaves copyright of the content to thepresenter. Unless otherwise noted in the materials,uploaded content carries the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike license, which grants usage tothe general public with the stipulated criteria.
Alabama State University• Comprehensive regional institution with over 50graduate and undergraduate programs• Founded in 1867• Historically Black Institution• Located in Montgomery, Alabama• Approximately 5,500 students• 150 full-time faculty• Nations top producer of African-American Educators
• Considering online degree programs for the over adecade• Established a distance education committee – almost tenyears ago to…• “come up with some guidelines and somerecommendations on what we needed to do for distanceeducation”• review and approve the syllabi of faculty who want toimplement an online course.The History of Distance Educationat Alabama State University
• Establish Academic Computing Director• Adopt Learning Management System (Blackboard)• Adopted Spring 2005• Fully integrated with SIS• Adopted Elluminate in Fall 2005• Develop Online Course Approval Process• Quality Matters Standards• Seven Principles of Quality Instruction• Provide Faculty TrainingDE CommitteeRecommendationsDecember 2002
• Over 100 courses offered each semester –undergraduate and graduate• Institutional goal is to have 2 fully online programs ineach academic unit by 2014• Current online degree programs:• Marketing (Bachelor)• Computer Science (Bachelor)• Library Education Media (Master)• Applied Technology (Master)• Physical Therapy (Doctorate)The History of Distance Educationat Alabama State University
Getting StartedThe Evolution:Understanding the decision to create an in-house certification program for facultyteaching online and hybrid courses and how it has evolved and changed over time
• Mandated Usage of BlackBoard from Office of theProvost• Faculty Senate Initiative to Provide Online TeachingIncentive• Reached Maturity for BlackBoard Adoption• Student Complaints• NEW FOCUS =o Quality Assurance of Courseso Way to Identify Faculty for IncentivesRationale for the CertificationCourse
• Options for initial certification:• Successful completion of four-week course offered by AcademicComputing• Transfer of online teaching certification in Blackboard 9 fromother universities completed within the past two years• Proposed content of the online teaching course:• Building a course in Blackboard• Assessing Learners: Assignment, Tests, and Gradebook• Communicating and Collaborating in Blackboard• Wimba and Lecture CaptureOnline Teaching Certification Proposal
• November 5, 2010• All face-to-face sessions (including Wimba)• 15 participants (mostly highly technology-savvy faculty)• First come, first served (early adopters)• Used in-house created material to facilitate• Focused on mechanics of BlackBoard tools and features• 100% completionThe First Cohort
The Next StepsThe Evolution:Identifying the challenges faced during initial implementation, lessons learned fromexperience and faculty feedback, and solutions to keeping faculty engaged andrefreshed
• Needed to increase capacity (space limitation)• Faculty wanted more pedagogy• Needed in include faculty from various technologicalbackgrounds. i.e. laggards• Needed more real online experience for facultyLessons Learned
• Purchased BlackBoard training documentation thatincorporated more pedagogy throughout• Added one-week session online (HYBRID)o Eventually moved to mostly online with one-session F2F• Created a faculty training labSolutions Implemented
• Appointed faculty as eLearning Coordinator in fall 2013o Conduct certification trainingo Provide additional face-to-face trainingo Advise faculty on course development• Extended from 4-week to 6-week courseo 100% onlineo Added "Course Design and Layout to Enhance Learning"o Added "Online Pedagogy: Best Practices in OnlineInstruction"o Completion of distance education approval formsCurrent Iteration
Beyond TeachingThe Evolution:Discussing the rationale for and the development of a certificate program foracademic deans and department chairs responsible for evaluating online instruction
• Designed to give those responsible for evaluatingfaculty who teach onlineo Understanding of the differences between thetraditional face-to-face and online classroomso Impacts of course design and pedagogy• Alignment of online teaching with existing facultyteaching effectiveness evaluation systemRationale for the Evaluator’sCourse
• Pilot in Spring 2013• 100% online• 3-week session• 10 participants (deans and department chairs)Structure of the Evaluator’s Course
• Trying to reach more adjunct faculty• Offering multiple sessions simultaneously• Having a dedicated instructor for online certification• Need instructional designer to follow-up/assist withcourse design and development• Emphasize need for incentives to administrationWhere We Are Now...