1. ISLAMIC FOUNDATION BANGLADESH(IFB)<br />FarzanaIslam,Fatematujzahara,NusratJahanLia,MunmunRahman and Shanta Dam.<br />IER,DU.<br />
2. INSTITUTIONAL PROFILE<br />Type of Organisation : Autonomous<br /> Affiliation : Ministry of Religious Affairs.<br />Establishment: 28th march 1975<br />Act: ‘The Islamic Foundation Act’ <br />Founder: BangabandhuShikhMujiburRahman<br />Main focus on: Islamic education, research and activities<br />Mailing Address : Sher-E Bangla Nagar, Agargaon, <br /> Dhaka-1207<br />Head of the OrganisationShamim Mohammad Afzal<br />(Name and Designation): Director General<br />Official languages:Bengali, English, Arabic<br />Website: www.islamicfoundationbd.com<br />
4. VISION:<br />Preaching and propagating the values and ideals of Islam as the only complete code of life acceptable to the Almighty Allah.<br />Imbuing the people of Bangladesh with the ideals of Islam.<br />FUNCTIONS:<br />Head Office : Dhaka, <br />which is supported by <br /><ul><li> 6 divisional offices and 64 district offices, as well as
5. 7 Imam Training Academy Centers,
6. 31 Islamic Mission Centers and
7. 9 Development project</li></li></ul><li>MAN POWER<br />FUND<br />
8. ORGANOGRAM<br />
9. PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION<br />At present Islamic Foundation Bangladesh implements various NFE programs:<br /><ul><li>Publication activities.
10. Pre-primary, Adult Literacy and neo-literacy program.
11. Mosque-based education programs (5th phase).
12. Establishment of Mosque based library (6th phase).
13. Expand and modernize the central library of IFB.
14. Invitation to religious practices and culture program.
15. Digitalizing the activity of IFB and set up a digital archive.
16. Imam training activities.
17. Leaders of Influence (A combined program with USAID and ASIA FOUNDATION).</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>List of the new NFE programs implementation by IFB</li></ul>Establishment of Islamic Mission Health Service and Imam Training Complex , Gopalganj .<br />Reinforcing village economy by using solar technology program<br /><ul><li>List of possible implementable</li></ul>NFE program by IFB<br />Primary school based values and ethical development education program<br />
18. Mosque-based education programs<br />The Foundation has a big project called Child and Mass Education under its mosque-based programs.The project was launched in 1992 with the following objectives: <br /><ul><li>Organizing mosque-based pre-primary schooling for children aged between four and five years and through it, increasing the rate of enrolment in primary schools;
19. Imparting preparatory education to children aged between six and ten years who do not go to school and prepare them for enrolment in primary schools; </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Offering nonformal education to young boys and girls aged between 11 and 14 years who have dropped out or have never taken schooling;
20. Strengthening and expanding the on-going mosque-based non-formal education and imparting literacy to the adult population aged between 15 and 35 years ; and
21. Helping the literate or semi-literate keep up the reading habit and learning process throughout life. By 2001, about 9,80,000 people were made literate under the project</li></li></ul><li>Stages of mosque based child and mass education program<br />
22. INNOVATION OF THE ORGANIZATION:<br /><ul><li>NFE programs for prisoners
23. Imam training project.</li></ul>NFE programs for prisoners:<br />IFB operates adult literacy centers to educate the male and female prisoners.<br />Imam training project:<br />IFB undertook a project called Imam Training Project under its Imam Training academy.<br />
24. About the ITA program<br />
25. Collaborations of ITA with different projects<br />Collaboration with UNFPA:<br />PROJECT : Involvement of Religious Leaders in Human ……… Resource Development<br />INITIATION: 1999 (1st phase), 2003 (2nd phase)<br />OBJECTIVES: To train at least 16000 Imams on reproductive ………… health, family welfare, HIV AIDS prevention, gender ……… …… included1850 Hindu and 420 Buddhist religious …………… leader in the context of their respective religion.<br />Collaboration with USAID :<br />PROJECT: Leaders Outreach Activity<br />OBJECTIVES: Over 18 month period nearly 5000 imams will learn …………... about activities in democracy, human rights, family …………... planning, economic development and several other …………... USAID program.<br />
26. Collaboration with USAID and THE ASIA FOUNDATION:<br />Project : Leaders of Influence<br />Funding: USAID<br />Association: THE ASIA FOUNDATION<br />Activities: As a part of 45 day training course The ………… Asia Foundation sponsors 3 day ………… orientation program for imams to visit ………… their sites of various developments ……….... activities in Bangladesh.<br />Project implementation:<br />
27. CHALLENGES:<br /><ul><li>The Publication activities face challenged to send books to mosque at remote areas. This allegation is often found in newspaper that books are stored in IFA offices idly for many kind of complexities.</li></li></ul><li>SUM UP <br />It is quite challenging for any organization to carry out NFE activity in this developing country, more importantly, Non formal education is not a mainstream activity of Islamic Foundation. Its mission is preaching and propagating the values and ideals of Islam to people. But when it started to arising NFE program comprehensively it never had to turn back. It is day by day becoming more successful to work with this sub-sector of education.<br />