How I learned to stop
worrying and love PDF
Why go with a PDF
• PDF books can be purchased, downloaded, and put to use in
• PDF books weigh zero pounds, zero ounces (good for the
• PDF books are keyword searchable!
• PDF books tend to be a few bucks cheaper than their paper
• PDF books can be updated by publishers and redistributed
• PDF books are printable
• Reader gets advance access to cutting-edge
• In return, reader contributes to the editing
process by submitting errata
• Reader gets copy of ﬁnal version when
• Great for building relationships with readers!
The reader receives an
e-mail when a new
version of the beta book
The reader logs into a
virtual bookshelf of titles
purchased from the
publisher, and generates
a new PDF.
In a few minutes, a new
e-mail message arrives
with a unique link to the
reader’s copy of the PDF.
The updated PDF is now
ready for reading! The
PDF has the reader’s
name embedded in it, to
curtail would-be pirates.
Each page’s footer also
includes a link to report
The reader can report a
problem in the text, or
reported by others.
• Probably not practical for any book
• Good for books with text to copy and
paste, or with forms to print
• Advance access to cutting-edge material is
good! (Just be sure to label it as such)
• I can carry an entire reference library on
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.