Anne Marie Krueger & Michael Wagner Social Studies FairPresentation Transcript
Should U.S. citizens have the right to bear arms despite what the Second Amendment says? By: Anne-Marie Krueger & Michael Wagner March 23, 2009 Period 5
U.S. citizens should have the right to bear arms because it lowers the crime rate in states, it’s their Constitutional right, and people use guns properly. Thesis Statement
Lowering Crime Rates
To begin with, citizens should be allowed to carry guns because in doing so, the crime rate is lowered. In the 1990s, the number of guns in the U.S. increased greatly; however, the murder rate and accidental gun deaths decreased by nearly 40 percent.
31 states have laws allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons. There is approximately a 24 percent lower crime rate difference than states that do not have these laws. There is also a 39 percent lower robbery rate.
In addition to the previous statement, the nine states shown below with the lowest violent crime rates are all states where the people are able to possess guns.
It’s Our Right!
The Second Amendment states that “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” A militia is defined as “the whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.”
Recently, in 2008, the Supreme Court made a ruling maintaining the right for people to bear arms for hunting and for self-defense purposes.
Basically, he supports the idea that people should be permitted to own guns for their own well-being.
“ Here’s what I believe … people have the right to bear arms. But I also believe there is nothing wrong with some common-sense gun safety measures.”
Citizens who follow the law use guns to defend themselves against criminals as often as 2.5 million times a year, or about 6,850 times a day.
A recent survey showed that 60 percent of guns are used for hunting and recreation . It also stated that at least 40 percent of handguns are used mainly for protection .
By hunting animals, people help control over-population. The most common animal to hunt for over population is deer. Controlling the population increases the amount of food available for the rest of its kind.
In summation, registered citizens of the United States of America should have the right to bear their own Arms. By doing so, the crime rate is lowered in most states and it is part of a person’s right, as listed in the Constitution. Also, most people do not misuse guns. Clearly, civilians should be able to own their own weapons in order to use them when needed.
1. American Flag. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/ the-world-factbook/flags/us-lgflag.gif>.
2. Barack Obama. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009<http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/39835/barack_obama.jpg>.
3. Bill of Rights. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/wyandotte/library/Bill%20of%20Rights%20Redux%202/Assets/Images/bill-of-rights-01.gif>.
4. Constitution. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <http://www.regent.edu/general/library/ about_the_library/news_publications/images/ConstitutionDayPic.PNG>.
5. Criminal. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sdsmt.edu/online-courses/is/soc100/criminal.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.americanmadness.com/tag/new-york/page/2/ &usg=__xLRkU-lgJ5i9kMLWp5fXhtKICKc=&h=340&w=330&sz=6&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=PPfbpIT63pq8MM:&tbnh=11>.
6. Deer. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009<http://www.deer-whitetail.com/Pictures/deer/deer-10.jpg>.
7. Fox and rifle. Photograph. Skinnymoose.com . 22Mar. 2009 <http://skinnymoose.com/wanderings/ wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fox_hunting.jpg>.
8. Gavel. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <http://www.dwaynehicks.com/images/gavel%203.jpg>. 9. Squirrel and bazooka. Photograph. 22 Mar. 2009 <http://web.mit.edu/mukherji/www/bazooka.jpg>.