1. HRE 4M1Independent Study Unit Essay Writing: Process to Product
2. The Essay Written Form English: An essay is an essay – form remains, adapt supports, listen to instructor Prior Knowledge (past papers, notes) + Thorough Understanding of Assignment (handout, lessons, verification)
3. Thesis Statements The most important part of the essay The entire paper works towards proving this one statement. Thread that ties the essay together
4. Visualize THESIS Subtopic 1 Subtopic 2 Subtopic 3that proves the that proves the that proves the thesis thesis thesis ECHO THESIS
5. ThesisDO NOT DO Repeat the topic Create a focused Be vague argument Be clear and concise Include unnecessary Try to target your wordiness Lack an argument statement to make it more interesting and effective
6. Thesis Statements Read the section on the HRE4M: Essay Review on Thesis Statements Underline or highlight key ideas Star items that you might forget
7. What is PLAGIARISM? It’s bad, very bad Occurs when you use any idea, words, or content from an outside source … And you don’t document it properly (e.g. no quotation marks, no parenthetical references, no Works Cited) Receives automatic ZERO!
8. Integrating Evidence into your Essay A necessary skill Majority of University and College work Avoids plagiarism When done correctly and with variety, it helps the flow of your writing Read section on handout now. Highlight what you need to remember.
9. Next Time: Strategy Sheet Instructions lesson Worksheet to be completed