Looking back at our preliminary task we feel that we have learnt how to use the camera more effectively so that what we are filming seems more real. As we have had more practice with them it was easier the second time round.
Also when looking back on are preliminary task we realised that planning is crucial to the outcome of our final product and the planning you do shows in the final product. We did precise planning in our opening thriller compared to our preliminary piece and the outcome of our thriller was much more successful.
Title Times – Planning, looking at what times titles appear and in what order in other openings
Detail planning helped us have a solid idea of what we had to do at what time with lights, positioning, camera angles mise en scene, music, location and actors facial expression. This was done through drawing a story board of each shot, which helped us have a solid idea of where are opening was going.
Before we started to produce our thriller we also researched into the thriller genre so we had a good knowledge of what the genre was about and the conventions of a thriller film. We did this to try and produce an opening as close to the thriller genre as we could get it, so are opening would be considered a thriller. After we had researched other thriller films, watched various thriller opening such as Taken, Blade , The Dark Knight, Jaws and many others we tried to reproduce these conventions in our own product with continuous planning.
From our preliminary task we think are use of shot types had definitely improved as they were carried out in a much more realistic way in comparison to are preliminary task. Different cuts to various scene were not so obvious in are opening thriller compared to our preliminary task which had a better effect on the final product as the editing was more realistic . We believe the quality of our filming had definitely improved. We also used a much wider range of shots in our thriller opening compared to our preliminary as we used different camera angles and close up ect.
In our thriller opening we took what we had already learnt from our preliminary task and reproduced these techniques. We used match on match action as we though this editing technique would work particularly well for our thriller opening and help to create tension and suspense. We also stuck to the 180 degree rule so our thriller opening would appear to be more realistic as breaking this rule would have an effect on continuity editing. However we never used the shot reverse shot in our thriller opening which we had done in our preliminary as we never felt that it was needed within the opening however if we were to create the whole of a film would have used this technique
Techniques Preliminary Task Thriller Opening Match on Match Action
As we have now produced our thriller opening we've had the chance to use new equipment and become familiar with it. We have used various equipment such as I movies on the Macs, flip cameras, video cameras, tripods, and colourer lights. Having done the preliminary task helped us have a better idea of how the video cameras worked before coming to our thriller opening. However we used the lights, flip cameras, and I moves for the first time when creating our opening thriller. However by doing both tasks we have become familiar and have a better knowledge of how all the equipment works.
We feel our end product is fairly successful in fulfilling the task we were given as we have used thriller genre conventions and believe are opening was close to that of other thriller openings. we also feel we were successful in the editing process and think the editing come together well. However we feel there were things that we could have improved if we had more time such as filming some parts of the opening again to improve on the acting to therefore help improve the authenticity of the opening.