Ethics andNon-proliferation Johannes Rath University of Vienna, Austria email@example.com
OVERVIEW1. Ethics and Civil Society2. Ethics, Civil Society and Governance Medical Ethics Committees3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance and Non-proliferation European Commission (EC) Ethics Review and Audit System for Research4. Conclusions
1. Ethics and Civil SocietyEthics - the virtue of doing things the right wayEthics – an important mechanism in guiding civil society
2. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance Medical Ethics CommitteesInstitutionalized Ethics Oversight in MedicineHelsinki Declaration, World Medical AssociationGlobal RelevancePharmaceutical and Medical Law build on ethics oversight
3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance, Non-proliferation EC Ethics Oversight Since 2002 Ethics Review all EU financed research (FP6, FP7) Mandate includes Dual-use and refers to all generally accepted international legislation (e.g. BTWC)
3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance, Non-proliferation EC Ethics Oversight Experts from Civil Society Multidisciplinary advisory panels Systematic assessment Recommendations included into the funding contract as contractual obligations Ethics audit of running projects to ensure compliance
3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance, Non-proliferation EC Ethics OversightAdvantages:Multidisciplinarity, InclusivenessThe ability to solve problems before theyariseFlexible, proportional and tailored solutionsStandard setting - above and in addition tominimal legal requirements
3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance, Non-proliferation EC Ethics Oversight Challenges Threshholds Internationalization of R&D and heterogenities of national legislations and Codes of Conduct Conflicting interests in knowledge management
3. Ethics, Civil Society, Governance, Non-proliferation EC Ethics Oversight Challenges Lack of practical concepts with regard to early risk mitigation and risk avoidance („Replace- Refine-Reduce“?, „Security by Design“?)
4. ConclusionsEthics is more than a theoreticalframework of moral considerationsCivil Society has substantial experiencesin applying ethics as a governance tool forpractical issues.
4. ConclusionsIf ethics is all about doing things the right way,there should be a place for it in Non-proliferationand the implementation of UNSCR 1540.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.