1. DIGITAL IDENTITIES RESEARCH WORKSHOP <ul><li>ECER 2009 - Vienna, Austria </li></ul><ul><li>28 th September 2009 </li></ul>Graham Attwell, Pontydysgu, UK Veronika Hornung-Prähauser, Salzburg Research, At Steven Warburton, King’s College London, UK
2. Session format 1. Introduction 2. Three short project presentations: Mature IP, Mosep and Rhizome 3. Individual identification of emerging issues/themes 4. Grouping and ranking of themes 5. Small group discussions to explore the tensions within each of the major themes 6. Roundtable feedback and discussion http://mature-ip.eu http://www.mosep.org http://www.rhizomeproject.org
3. Oh my word! I started to look at my digital identity today. All that stuff that’s out there about me on the internet. It’s a bit shocking. And mostly very out of date. Plus photos that I didn’t expect to be public. It definitely needs managing! Now to find out how. http://sophiehigman.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/digital-identities/
4. So what is digital identity?
5. … a technologically mediated instantiation of the self and can be formed from any available electronic data that references ‘you’
6. Digital ID – certification of an individual to partake in identity based transactions e.g. managing an online bank account to accessing online library resources Online Persona – disclosure of the self via creative social acts e.g. writing a blog or opening and using a Facebook account
7. Digital Identity spaces my personal space my professional space my content my lifestyle my ego search my shared media
8. participate: resources, events and information http://www.rhizomeproject.org Project team: Steven Warburton Margarita Perez-Garcia Graham Attwell
9. Strand 1 – what successful practices do individuals already employ when creating, developing and managing their digital identity? Strand 2 – what kinds of tools would be valuable to help support individuals in the productive use of their digital identity? Project activities Approach: share narratives of successful practice using participatory pattern workshops to uncover DI design patterns Approach: design extensions to the Euro pass CV plug-in tool to manage identity resources
11. Five problem spaces around digital identity 1. How can we manage potential overlaps between our personal and professional identities? 2. What digital identity literacy skills do we need to teach? 3. How can we manage our online reputation if we are not in control of our data? 4. Is privacy a thing of the past? 5. In what ways is the discourse of danger a barrier to individuals engaging with their online identity e.g. your personal details are easy to locate, so easy that Internet criminals can steal and use your identity?