1. Turn your $60 POS router into a $600 fire breather!* <ul><li>*for free </li></ul>
2. What is Tomato <ul><li>Tomato is a small, lean and simple replacement firmware for Linksys' WRT54G/GL/GS , Buffalo WHR-G54S/WHR-HP-G54 and other Broadcom-based routers. It features a new easy to use GUI, a new bandwidth usage monitor, more advanced QOS and access restrictions, enables new wireless features such as WDS and wireless client modes, raises the limits on maximum connections for P2P, allows you to run your custom scripts or telnet/ssh in and do all sorts of things like re-program the SES/AOSS button, adds wireless site survey to see your wifi neighbors, and more. </li></ul>
3. What will this run on? <ul><li>Linksys WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1.x , WRTSL54GS (no USB support) </li></ul><ul><li>Buffalo WHR-G54S , WHR-HP-G54 , WZR-G54, WBR2-G54 </li></ul><ul><li>Asus WL500G Premium (no USB support) </li></ul><ul><li>Untested but apparently works without changes: SparkLAN WX-6615GT </li></ul><ul><li>Note: Most WRT54G and WRT54GS (not WRT54GL) sold in stores right now are the v5.0+ variety and will not work with Tomato. </li></ul>
4. How do I find my Linksys version? <ul><li>Look at the bottom side of the router to check for the version number, or compare the first 4 characters of the serial number with the following list: CDF0/CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0 CDF2/CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1 CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0 CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2 CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0 CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1 CDFA = WRT54G v4.0 </li></ul><ul><li>CGN0/CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1 CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0 CGN4 = WRT54GS v2.1 CGN5 = WRT54GS v3.0 CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0 </li></ul><ul><li>CL7A = WRT54GL v1.0 CL7B = WRT54GL v1.1 CL7C = WRT54GL v1.1 CF7C = WRT54GL v1.1 </li></ul><ul><li>If it's not listed above, and it's not a WRT54GL, it's not supported. </li></ul>
5. WRT54GL, L stands for Linux
7. 7zip Extractor www.7-zip.org
8. Ignore this to brick your router
9. Connect via Ethernet , change your network if you have to.
10. Login. Default password = admin.
11. Administration Tab>> Firmware Upgrade
12. Upload firmware for your router.
13. 4 minutes later, FTW
14. New admin page User = root, Password = admin
15. Wireless site survey Can we say free wifi? I thought you could.