8. Keys to SEO• Relevance• Keywords in headline• Keywords in story (best in lead)• Understand how people are searching• Relevant links
9. Reach a wider audience• Effective use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Foursquare, etc.)• Relevant comments (w/ links) on related blogs• Emails/tweets/#hashtags call to attention of influencers• Alert Digital First editor to best posts
10. The blogging conversation• Crowdsource (specific questions: “Do you know anyone who …?” “Did you see …?” “Has this ever happened to you?”)• Consider ending post w/ question• Stimulate/continue conversation in social media• Engage with comments
12. Other questions• So what?• What’s next?• Who’s affected?• Why not?• How do you know that?• How do they know that?
13. Grab their attention• Lead (1st paragraph) is important to reader & search engine• Keep lead brief & simple (tweet length?)• Most important W’s (not all)• Read your lead aloud• Take time to challenge, rewrite
14. Making money w/ a blog• Sell ads• Ad networks• Affiliate marketing• Syndicate content• Boost traffic• Build brand