View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
LIU LIS Class Presentation
Thursday Oct. 10, 2013
Stephen Abram, MLS
Teens and young adults
Scholars and scholarship
Research versus reference
Academic, public, school, special
Introducing the Opportunities
Evidence Based Reference Strategies
• Websites analytics, ILS search patterns, GIS, Search statements, ForeSee™ satisfaction
data, Normative data, national data sets, Census
Experience Based Portals: The New Commons
• Experience versus content, usability or collections.
• Google versus professional search, OPAC vs. ILS,
• Information fluency, citations, ethics, etc.
People-driven strategies and Liaison and Outreach
• Personas, partnerships, Relationships, CRM.
Curriculum and Research Agenda
• Common Core, Repositories, etc.
Services and Programs
• Building on the foundation, verbs and nouns.
Marketing and Promotion – Advocacy and Influence
• VIP: Value, Impact, Positioning
• Anything that converges or focuses on social and collaborative
relationships and humanity/humanism
▫ Web conferencing
▫ Interactive streaming media / gamification
▫ Next generation social – mobile, connected and understanding
▫ Next generation search –
semantic, visual, ontological, sentiment, etc.
▫ BIG DATA
Being a ‘real’ professional
Personal and Institutional Impact:
Strategies and Tactics
Let’s talk . . .
Questions and About Me
Stephen Abram Contact Info:
• Stephen Abram, MLS, FSLA
• Consultant, Lighthouse
Consulting Inc., Dysart & Jones
• Executive Director, Federation of
Ontario Public Libraries
• 412-120 Perth Ave.
• Toronto, ON
• Canada M6P 4E1
• Stephenslighthouse.com Blog
• Cel: 416-669-4855
• Home: 416-533-4855
• FOPL: 416-395-0746