What are they and what can I do
Stephanie Gentry July 2013
What is a QR code?
• QR code stands for Quick Response code.
• Quickly and easily links you to a website or
• They can be used in a variety of ways in the
Use Them in Science
Take a picture of a figure
that students need to
Identfy parts of (cells,
Body systems, etc.) and
have QR codes give them
Use Them in Social Studies
Create a scavenger hunt, with the
questions embedded in a QR code,
and the answers written on the
page. Students will scan a code,
read the question, then find the
answer on a different page.
Use them in math
Create task cards, which
is one problem on a
card. You have students
solve the problem (in
this example, find the
area of compound
figures), then scan the
code to check your
Use them in Language Arts
Link to websites about what
you are doing in class. Here is
a link to a website that includes
many of Shakespeare’s works.
You could also link to an
author’s website if it contains
extra information about a book
you are reading.
Make a Form in Google Docs that has a
link with a QR code.
How do I scan?
• What do I need to scan a code?
– There’s an app for that!
• Scan App
• Qrafter App
• i-nigma QR Code
How do I make a QR code?
• Use a QR code generating website (google ‘QR
• My favorites:
How do I make an activity?
• Open a word document and set it up how you
• Create a text box on the page where you want
the code to go.
• Open a QR code generating website, enter the
information you want to turn into a QR code.
• Drag and drop the QR code into the text box.