1. A GLIMPSE INTO SILICON VALLEY Stefano Mizio February 17th 2011
2. You need to take a look outside your company If you spent the entire your ca- reer in a big company... Your DNA (the way you see problems, opportunities, mana- gement) is biased!!You need aDifferentPerspective! Dead Poets Society
3. The Menace“A dream to some... a nightmare for others” [Merlin, Excalibur]
4. What Peter Drucker says about innovation.... “ Innovators use both the right and left side of their brain. They look at figures and they look at people. Go out to look... ...to ask to listen!“
5. Are you a tourist?
6. What is Silicon Valley? If you go to see Silicon Valley, what youll see are buildings...Great Universities Risk taking Right InvestorsMentoring System Openness But its the people that makes it Silicon Valley, not the buildings.
7. Some MythsYou need Venture Capital.Not completely true!!!...on the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing private companies. Only approximately 16percent of the roughly 900 unique companies on the list from 1997-2007 had venturecapital backing.Kauffman foundation reportGoogle, Microsoft, Ciscoare vital to employment.Wrong!!!startups aren’t just an important contributor to job growth: they’re the only thing.Without startups, there would be no net job growth in the U.S. economy. From 1977to 2005, existing companies were net job destroyers, losing 1 million net jobs peryear. In contrast, new businesses in their first year added an average of 3 million jobsannually.Kauffman foundation report
8. Some MythsUnemployment,what is it? Gigaom
9. Do you know that...California looks like Italy in terms of GDP... according toThe Economist but only 37 million population (Poland)
10. Where I spent my time Almost 6,000 miles! My best friend: TomTom.
11. Formal and informal information sources my eco-system...
12. Technical meeting Its maybe the best way to meet people to share the same interestsVery informal way!“Pizza and Software” as in Mountain View forSilicon Valley Cloud Computing Group lastAugust on Open Stack! OR... more formal such as at IEEE workshop on “Internet of things” in Santa Clara University in September.
13. Business Meeting OR.....gathering Venture Capitalists gut feeling,looking at their portfolio and meeting startups!
14. “Classical” Events To get the big pictures and main trends! Mobilize event on the “Future of mobile web” in San Francisco last September Or...DiscoveryBeatat Mission Baylast October
15. Visionary Events To get inspiration! Listening from Marissa Mayer from Google or Tim Brown from IDEO or Rendy Comisar from Kleiner Perkins at Stanford. Or...Listening John Hagel III in Moun-tain View while he was giving aninsightful look at the power of to-days knowledge flow
16. The Italian GuysSilicon Valley Study Tour at our Consolato inSan Francisco
17. Scouting ProcessJulian Bleecker at Device Design Day in SF on how Science Fictioncan help innovation The iPAD 23 years ago iPad and Star Trek
19. Scouting Process Identification Selection Assessment Dissemination ? ?? ? ! ! ? ? ? ! ! ? ? ? ! Cloud Computing IT GovernanceMobile payments LBS Mobile Health Internet of Things App Discovery CleanTech Cross Platfom mobile dev
20. Scouting Process Assessment High Market impact Potential market sizeCompetitors landscape Relevance low High Technological low ProGrid SW realization complexity Technology maturity Complexity DT Process
21. So... what? American ExcitementItalia, 44° Rapporto Censis“società senza spinte vitali...assenza di motivazioni a cambiare...” “...scopriremo che sempre più spesso il lavoro bisogna crearselo, non cercarlo, perchè non cè quasi più niente da trovare in giro,..” Riccardo Luna, Wired gennaio 2011
22. Sometimes Cartoons can inspire youThe new needs friends!Anton Ego, Ratatouille Change is nature.The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide. Remi, Ratatouille
23. Where are you going?With Luck, Forward!! !Remi Thank You Twitter: SMIZIO - email@example.com you can find me on Linkedin