View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Born on February 20, 1902 in California
He had a troubled youth.
Nature and music became important
part of his childhood
› Joined the Sierra Club when he was
17- focus on preserving parts of
› After becoming interesting with
nature he began to focus on
1927 first portfolio
In 1928 he married Virginia Best, and
had two children.
Most successful time of his career 1929-
His photographs today are still relevant
He died on April 22, 1984 at age 82
Ansel Adam’s work is important because it is inspiring to other
photographers who like his ideas or want to use some of his techniques. He
also has helpful, interesting quotes that are inspiring to many other
› “Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and
communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation
and execution. “
› “A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is
being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true
expression of what one feels about life in its entirety “
› “ Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop “
The influence of Ansel Adams to begin photography was his love for nature.
How Ansel Adams inspires others: One method used by Ansel Adams that
he created is known as the Zone System. This technique is used to try and
creates the best film exposure and development for the photo. There is a
systematic method to follow the Zone System.
This is one of Ansel Adams most famous photographs
The name of the critic is Laura Cumming
The review was very positive, and complementary.
The critic discussed his style in the review
She also says observes all of the interesting parts that
make the picture work well
-I agree with the art critic
-Why this picture works
-Sharp & clear
- The white clouds
contrast with the sky
-The skyline, which
also includes snow
-The moon in the
center of the
1. “America’s Photographer-Ansel Adams.”Online Image. The DC Traveler. 5 October 2007. 11 March 2009.
2. “Ansel Adams” Online Image. Notable Biographies.11 March 2009.
3. “Ansel Adams.” The Art Institute of Chicago. 8 March 2009.
4. “Ansel Adams.” Wikipedia: Commons. 6 September 2009. 8 March 2009.
5. “Ansel Adams.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. 5 March 2009. 8 March 2009.
6. Ansel Adams Gallery. Representing the Work of Ansel Adams and Select Landscape Photographers. 12 March 2009.
7. “Ansel Adams: Mountains” Online Image. The Slide Projector. 12 March 2009.
8. “Ansel Adams Quotes.”Finest Quotes. 8 March 2009. http://www.finestquotes.com/author_quotes-author-
9. “Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Arizona” Drowlord. 12 March 2009.
10. Hinson, Hal. quot;Ansel Adams: an autobiography.quot; Atlantic. 256.(Oct. 1985): p99. Literature Resource Center. Gale.
MARY INST & ST LOUIS COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL. 8 Mar. 2009
11. “King of the Wild Frontier.” Online Image. The Observer. 6 April 2008. 11 March 2009.
12. “Lone Tree.” Online Image. Your Daily Art. 12 March 2009.
13. Stegner, Wallace. Ansel Adams: Images 1923-1974. Boston: New York Graphic Society Ltd., 1974.
14. “Yosemite” Online Image 12 March 2009. http://waddle.uoregon.edu/albums/NewsImages/Ansel_Adams.jpg
15. “Zone System.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. 22 February 2009. 11 March 2009.